Indoor Duck-- is this a problem?

I have three indoor ducks and I don't think its animal cruelty. I do agree with burrill and get some duck diapers. This way they can wonder all over the apartment as they please. As for personality disorders, mine are super sweet, except when they're hungry of course, then they turn into hungry hungry hippos! They still love being picked up and love to watch movies with me. Then even tolerate me when I have the urge to do something like this to them:

Nonetheless, I think ducks make great pets, just as a cat or dog would.
That's cute!
lau.gif

To the OP, it sounds like your duck has a great life! I don't see how anyone could call what you described "cruelty." I wouldn't worry about it. Ducks do get lonely if they're by themselves, but you're with your duck most of the time, so I'm sure she's fine. She has you as a companion instead of another duck.

My goose lived in the house for a year, I had to move and she had to move to the barn :( I think house ducks/geese are better then dogs (shh don't tell my dog). I also picked up a musvovy that was raised in a house. Lily is the nicest duck I have. She's a riot! And she tries to come inside and visit. I'm not sure about ducks- as Lily is happy out side. But geese can take offence to a change in their living arangments (Vindy did). Sounds like your duck is livin' it rich :)
If it wasn't for my BF I'd have a house goose/duck again.
Love the Star Wars theme!

Cute duck and cute boyfriend!

I have 2 geese that live inside (during the day, when we are home, they are in a fenced-in area outside). I also have 15 ducks and we rotate which ones live inside.

As long as your duck gets plenty of direct natural sunlight (not sunlight through windows), a balanced diet, and has plenty of companionship, I think your duck has a good life. I am a bit worried that she's an only duck. Ducks usually need to be around another duck.

As long as your duck gets plenty of direct natural sunlight (not sunlight through windows), a balanced diet, and has plenty of companionship, I think your duck has a good life. I am a bit worried that she's an only duck. Ducks usually need to be around another duck.
Good point about the sunlight. My vet said that it's pretty much impossible for indoor ducks to get enough natural, direct sunlight, since they spend so much time indoors and probably only go outside for short periods of time. So, he recommended getting a UV light that simulates the sun. I found one at the pet store, hooked it up to a timer, and hung it outside my duck's pen. Apparently, it's especially important for female ducks to get sunlight (or simulated sunlight) due to hormones...although I don't know anything about duck physiology so I won't pretend to know why!

Good idea about the sunlamp! She usually swims outside for hours everyday, but it's london, and sunshine isn't really happening right now, so I'll get her a lamp asap! (Truthfully my best friend and I were planning on buying one anyway, as she's from Australia and I'm from California and the complete lack of sunshine is doing our heads in.) I never would have thought of her getting S.A.D., too!

p.s. what beautiful geese! their feathers look amazing! and your indian runners have such sweet faces!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom