Indoor ducks-part time?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Miss Ducky, Jul 31, 2010.

1. Miss Ducky

Miss Ducky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    Michigan
    I'm not quite sure what to do about my ducks when winter rolls around. We live in Michigan, so it gets pretty cold. Our pond freezes over, and we go ice-skating on it-cold. I already have plans on ordering diapers for my ducks when they get full grown, and they already come inside for an hour or so every day, so I was thinking, maybe keep them indoors during the winter? (They're pets) Dad suggested that we put a regular light bulb in their house, would that work as well? And during the winter, when the pond is frozen over, should I still somehow get them swim time?

2. maggiemmm

maggiemmm Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2010
    Kewadin area
    We have had ducks outside all the time. We live in Northern MI near TC. If you have a 60 watt bulb in their house they will be fine. I got a waterer that when it gets to 32ยบ it turns on so the water does not freeze. I usually change their water a couple times a day . Now I have Muskovies and they do not seem to need as much water as the Indian runners or Pekins or even the Rouens I have had. I am planning on doing the same thing. I also put a bale of straw around each side of their house for insulation. It has worked for me.Aren't ducks fun? :)[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by