Indoor hen suddenly being aggressive

Nov 26, 2021
Hello! I have an indoor hen who is almost a year and she has suddenly became aggressive to certain people only, going as far as attacking their feet.
We’ve tried to deal with this by the person pushing her away and holding her down but it doesn’t seem to be working.

She is allowed outside to free-range with the flock whenever she likes (she goes to the door and then we let her out/in). She has toys and other stimulants inside the house and she has never seemed bored. Our main area is a porch like structure so she has stimulants from the outside also.
She has always seemed content with being inside and this behaviour from her is very odd

She has no illnesses, visible injuries or parasites and no worms (she has just been dewormed). She is currently broody but this problem has been lasting too long to be just due to that.

Any tips on how to deal with her and make her less aggressive?

Killing, rehoming or her being outside is not an option

She is currently broody but this problem has been lasting too long to be just due to that.
I supppose that it is her broodiness triggering the attacks as a broody hen living with her flock of chickens would do the same to her flock mates.

It is seen a preparatory warning behaviour to teach the others to stay away from her so they will later on respect her personal space which will be reserved for her chicks.

Some hens will get broody many times per year.

Last edited:
I supppose that it is her broodiness triggering the attacks as a broody hen living with her flock of chickens would do the same to her flock mates.

It is seen a preparstory warning behaviour to teach the others to stay away from her so they will later on respect her personal space which will be reserved for her chicks.

Some hens will get broody many times per year.
I suppose it might be.
She is very prone to broodiness (already been broody 6 times) but breaks out quickly. We’re in the process of breaking her out so i’ll see if she gets better

I suppose it might be.
She is very prone to broodiness (already been broody 6 times) but breaks out quickly. We’re in the process of breaking her out so i’ll see if she gets better
You could just let her hatch some eggs and raise the chicks. This will keep her busy and often reduces new broodiness to 2-3 times per year instead of every few weeks anew.

Is there a reason why she would be living separate from the flock inside the house?

You could just let her hatch some eggs and raise the chicks. This will keep her busy and often reduces new broodiness to 2-3 times per year instead of every few weeks anew.

Is there a reason why she would be living separate from the flock inside the house?
Unfortunately i cannot have any more chickens otherwise i’d happily let her hatch them, and my cockerel is quite bad with fertilisation eggs so when we’ve wanted to hatch more we have had to buy them.

she’s living inside since she is an (unofficial) emotional support pet

Back
Top Bottom