Indoor Pet Chickens

Pics
I think house chickens are fine as long as they get some normal chicken experiences and everyone is happy and healthy. It's when things aren't kosher that I take an issue with it, but honestly that goes for any pet. My girls are absolute heathens so they wouldn't be good housemates, but I wouldn't hesitate for a second to bring them in if I needed to. Off the rails here, but I wonder if anyone has house turkeys?

I had a young RIR rooster Chavez in my house at night for a few months. His 2 flock mates escaped and never came back. Since he was all alone I would have him in his run during the day and put him in a pet carrier at night in the kitchen. We did this from six months until a little over a year while we hand-raised some chicks for him. The crate had newspaper and dog pads. He would even leave the run to come up to the front door and wait until we came out to collect him for the night. He was pretty small for his age so I felt bad and he was my first chicken that I had raised from a chick. I have such a special bond with him and even though he's a huge 2 year old rooster with his own pair I still get to pick him up without any fuss and loves to be pet around his face.

I try not to let the chickens in - my parrots are loud and messy enough ;) I was sick once though, on a rather hot day. Because I was so ill, I had a roast chicken in the oven, (not one from home, ours are layers only) so that when hubby got home it would be easy to feed the kids in some way or other, whether with meat sammies, salad or whatever. Given it was hot, all the doors were open.

I got up for some water and found three of them standing in the kitchen, looking up at the pot. :eek: I felt so guilty, we haven't yet had another roast.

I am wondering, how many people here keep an indoor chicken as a pet? I've heard of people doing this, just not here on the BYC. The idea is intriguing, especially since chicken sized diapers are available to take care of the poo problem. Do you keep the chicken inside most of the time or just for visits? I really am curious!
I have two Belgian d' uncle Bantu hens that are house chickens. They are soooo cute strolling around together, chatting as they go. Yesterday that noticed their shadows on a cabinet door and were totally enthralled!!

Don't these house chickens poop freely, as in all over the place? Or, are they litter box trained like a cat? Peck at the door to go out, like a dog scratches? Or, just diaper them, which I think would make a mess on their rear ends.

Don't these house chickens poop freely, as in all over the place? Or, are they litter box trained like a cat? Peck at the door to go out, like a dog scratches? Or, just diaper them, which I think would make a mess on their rear ends.
They don't have free run of the house. They hang out in the utility room. I put puppy pads on the floor
and use the diapers if they are coming out to hang with me. They are really curious girls!

i have a house chicken
big_smile.png
tiny (the hen in my avatar) is my favorite, but she is partially lame and blind in one eye, so i decided to keep her inside. she couldn't fly to the roost and was having trouble getting enough to eat. most of the younger hens picked on her, so she hid behind my rooster raven most of the time. she's been living inside for about six months now and is doing a whole lot better. she can't have the run of the house, but she has a large rabbit cage and i let her out whenever i'm there to lay down towels (i can't put a chicken diaper on her, since it's already hard for her to walk). she also comes with me every evening when i go out to close up the chickens so she can see her friends. the next time she goes broody, we're going to let her hatch some chicks, so maybe she won't be so lonely!
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
D.gif

oh and she lives in my bedroom...yes i said in my bedroom. maybe i'm crazy, but
tongue2.gif
I think your wonderful!! I have one that got very sick and made a make shift large brooder. Want to enter her back to the flock 2 weeks after; they attacked her. It was aweful! Our 8 birds are bei,g raised for eggs only. Even when they stop we are going to keep them. They served man so I'm serving them back.

I think your wonderful!! I have one that got very sick and made a make shift large brooder. We put it in one of my empty bedrooms. Went to enter her back to the flock 2 weeks after; they attacked her. It was aweful! Our 8 birds are being raised for eggs and pets only. Even when they stop we are going to keep them. They served man so I'm serving them back.

Back
Top Bottom