Indoor pet turkey thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
So let me get this straight. Farm animals are not supposed to be treated the same way a person treats a dog as a pet. So are rabbit rescues hypocrites because they treat rabbits as victims while rabbits are still technically farmable meat?
Technically humans could be farmable meat too, it's just illegal. :(

So let me get this straight. Farm animals are not supposed to be treated the same way a person treats a dog as a pet. So are rabbit rescues hypocrites because they treat rabbits as victims while rabbits are still technically farmable meat?
That's not the issue here. Rabbits live very comfortably inside homes. However, animals like turkeys and chickens have very different needs. They need to be in flocks, outside where they can scratch in the dirt and eat bugs. They don't want to be inside.

Yeah and I’m sure people shouldn’t keep their dog, cat, parrot, small animals and/or reptiles inside a human house.
Firstly, all of these animals can be and are kept outside (with the exception of dogs and possibly parrots)

secondly, all of these animals have different needs that poultry. They do not need to be in a flock to feel safe, and they do need large amounts of space.

I’m not saying that having a house turkey is evil, but honestly…WHY? It sounds like way more work, and for a potentially less happy turkey in the end.

I’d like to see some real arguments for why having a house turkey is more humane than keeping one outside. All I’ve seen are videos from YouTube

That's not the issue here. Rabbits live very comfortably inside homes. However, animals like turkeys and chickens have very different needs. They need to be in flocks, outside where they can scratch in the dirt and eat bugs. They don't want to be inside.
Why don't rabbits need to be outside digging in the dirt, soaking up sunshine and eating clover?

Firstly, all of these animals can be and are kept outside (with the exception of dogs and possibly parrots)

secondly, all of these animals have different needs that poultry. They do not need to be in a flock to feel safe, and they do need large amounts of space.

I’m not saying that having a house turkey is evil, but honestly…WHY? It sounds like way more work, and for a potentially less happy turkey in the end.

I’d like to see some real arguments for why having a house turkey is more humane than keeping one outside. All I’ve seen are videos from YouTube
Let me revise my idea - bringing a pet turkey inside a few hours a week to let it sit down next to me while I watch TV, but its main home will still be the outdoor pen.

Now dogs can't live outside?

Let me revise my idea - bringing a pet turkey inside a few hours a week to let it sit down next to me while I watch TV, but its main home will still be the outdoor pen.
Plenty of people do that, I don’t see a problem with it…but I don’t have turkeys. I’ll leave it up to the more experienced members.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom