1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Inexpensive brooders for multiple species?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by GabrielBane, Sep 26, 2016.

1. GabrielBane

GabrielBane Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2016
    Jacksonville
    Hi there folks!

So I'll be doing a pretty massive order of poultry soon, and well, it's not ideal to have so many babies running around at once, but, we want to be guaranteed getting all the producers we want for our first year of operations, so it looks like we'll need to brood approximately 40 chickens (6 being incredibly expensive Ayam Cemani, meaning, i'd love to give them the absolute best at a good start at life, since I do plan on breeding for SOP as well as for supplemental income~) , 12 Poults, A trio of geese, and between 6-12 Muscovy ducklings.
    I do plan on using a several brooder system (Possibly dividing them up by geese/ducks in one, and poults and chicks in another, with a third mini brooder for my Ayam's) and using half of our two car garage with over-head lamps and digital thermometers (We purchased heat lamps that work wirelessly with thermometers to guarantee a steady temp. Once they arrive, I'll share pics, they are a gift from our parents!) , however, in the past I've owned exhibition poultry, I've sort of rigged brooders out of deep kiddy pools, shavings, and a custom made "lid" that prevented the chicks for jumping out of the brooder. I'm concerned that the poults and goslings will out-grow this fairly quickly (We're ordering NNs, so the slow growth of the breed may be my saving grace here), what are your thoughts about designs / what set up works best for you when indoor brooding several species? I know it seems ambitious, but a degree in Poultry Sciences has gotta get me somewhere, right? [​IMG]

ETA: I hope this is in the right place! Please feel free to move if otherwise!

ETAA: I'm so sleepy I forgot to mention that we'd love to invest in something we could use permanently as brooders, but while we figure out what think we'd like best, we'd want something more "disposable/able to be re-purposed", and moderately priced, since it'd be for a initial brood or two~

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
  2. Howard E

Howard E Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2016
    Missouri
    Not exactly sure what you are asking or doing, but if I understand, you need a whole lot of small pens in a hurry?

Perhaps go to a fence company or Lowes/Depot and purchase pet run frames and either use the chain link fencing they are intended to be used with or perhaps fencing with smaller openings, such as 1" x 2" welded wire or even smaller if you have smaller predator concerns. Put them together as a group of 3, 4 or 5 pens....as many as needed......all attached. Put them over a cement floor, which could be nothing more than a driveway in the short run. In the short run, cover them with plastic or metal roofing or even plastic tarps.

This would all depend on climate, but such coops if covered on three sides and on top may be able to house a group of birds in some pretty extreme conditions. At least in the short run.

3. Howard E

Howard E Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2016
    Missouri
    Got my farmtek catalog today.

Maybe something like this will work? They seem pricey to me, but that is in the eye of the beholder.

https://www.farmtek.com/farm/suppli...pment-ft_poultry_housing;pg104601_104602.html

These shelters get larger......as big as your budget can stand!

You would need to use real wire for the interior walls, runs, and also use a top for the runs. Not that much different than a farm panel hoop shelter, except the top would be more durable than a tarp.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by