inexpensive containment?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by klf73, Sep 28, 2011.

1. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I wanted to contain my free range flock to a smaller piece of land. Next year we are investing in something nicer looking fencing but need something to keep them on "their" side of the street now. Some smaller groupswere contained, somewhat, but fly over...but they stay in that vicinity now. I want a 4ft high fencing, low cost. No electrical needed, just more for containment until they get used to that area. I got some 50ft rolls of some gray plastic stuff and that may be what I have to use...but was wondering if there was some other low cost option?

2. Noymira

Noymira Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Chittenden County, VT
    Quote:2"x4" welded wire? That's what I plan on using to fence is a fairly large pasture area so my flock can get some grass and bugs, but have a bit more protections and containment than true free ranging. I think a 100' roll of 6' wire usually goes for about $120 around here.

3. warmfuzzies

warmfuzzies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Boondocks, Colorado
    I LOVE the 2 x 4 welded wire. It is nice and stiff (compared to chicken wire) so it is much easier to build a fence with. However, I do think it is more expensive.

4. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Quote:Could you provide a simple drawing repressenting landscape? You might be able to affect ranging by how feed is distributed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by