Inexpensive duck coop ideas?

LabMama

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 11, 2011
The sticks, VA
Ok so im new to ducks...Mine are about 3 weeks old very stinky & have to get out of my bathtub/brooder lol. I have 2 mallards, 1 khaki & 1 pekin...I would like to let them roam free during the day but put them in at night like the chickens, do yo all think thats a good idea? also any suggestions on a very inexpensive easy to make coops. my husband got lazy after he built the chicken coop lol.. thanks yall!!!! also...do you think my variety of duck breeds will be ok living together once full grown?

You could look for dog houses on freecycle if you have one in your area or you can look on craigslist for an inexpensive one. I would have gotten one, but I wasn't fast enough to reply.

ok got ya thanks!! also, is it ok to let them free-range( i guess you call it that for ducks lol)....and do they have to be in a fence or anything at night?

Well, how handy are you?
thumbsup.gif
I have to do some of the projects too, because my hubby thinks they are neverending....partly true
smack.gif
. If you can afford it,I thought about building one with wooden privacy type fence panels. dig 4 post holes. attach 3 panels, put a cyclone fence gate or one you make out of kennel fence 2X4 or 2X2. And /or make a wooden door frame and attach the fence to it. The front would be just fence and a gate. Roof could be plywood,, fiberglass panels, etc.
Or cheaper, just buy a roll of dog kennel fence and put 4 posts, wood or T and attach wire all way around including top . and put a tarp on it.Or outdoor fabric like they make awnings out of, (often on clearance at fabric stores). You will need to put hardware cloth or wood on the sides ,up to 2-3 feet to keep raccoons from grabbing thru wire ,if they are in your area. I lost geese and chickens years ago to them, not knowing how smart, determined and l prolific they were in my edge of the suburbs area. .
Some people find plastic playhouses or wooden ones or dog houses and convert them. You need wire and a tough tight night door, or eaten ducks......----Hotwire around and top and bottom of night pen or house keeps most everything out.....

I had an igloo dog house laying around...then I bought a 10 x 10 x 6 chain link dog kennel from lowes for about $300...and a small little black tub for their "pond". I couldn't wait to get mine out of the house for the same reason and this was a quick and relatively inexpensive coop (much cheaper than building the chicken coop last year). Good luck with whatever you choose!!

Quote:
I agree about the pallets. I am currently building a fence using old pallets, and once I get my pond all good to go, plan on using the pallets to build a coop for the ducks by the pond.
smile.png
Great cheap way. People and businesses are always giving away pallets.

In my past life, lol the first time I had chickens, I used a dog kennel 10X10 or close with a tarp over it, and a 4X6 wooden playhouse all hardwire clothed in for chicken coops. the dog kennel was behind the playhouse for a run, and they were all happy

Back
Top Bottom