Inexpensive Yet Safe Run Ideas

Apr 5, 2022
NW WA
Wanting a secure yet inexpensive idea/option for a large chicken run. I will not put them in a cyclone dog kennel, no anything with just chicken wire. It will need to be tall enough to walk upright in. Large enough for 15-25 chickens, however it will be a second run option for them (they’ll have access to both at their leisure). Ideally it’d be great to find an inexpensive skeleton that we can line with hardware cloth and put blocks under the ground and around the perimeter. I’m also wanting to put a clear roof on it. Anyone do anything similar that they have pics of that did not cost $$$?

Hooped cattle panel. A wood, pvc, conduit or even "no base". Any wire can be used on it. For roofing - a tarp, pvc/green house panels or metal roofing material.

For "no base" attach to t-post uprights & put the bottom edge of CP directly on the ground. Directly on the ground makes it about 8' wide. If want wider, you'll need other material at the base.

For every 50" in length, can attach another panel. Can start w/ 1 or 2 & always make it longer...

I will not put them in a cyclone dog kennel, no anything with just chicken wire. It will need to be tall enough to walk upright in.
I do not know what you mean by a "cyclone dog kennel" (either it's a term I haven't heard, or auto-correct did something to it.)

Ideally it’d be great to find an inexpensive skeleton that we can line with hardware cloth and put blocks under the ground and around the perimeter.
There are some dog kennels that make good frames for a project like that: sturdy metal frame, with chain link or other large-hole wire that is quite strong, and about 6 feet tall so at least some people can stand up inside.

Sometimes dog kennels like that are cheap or free, if someone has one and wants to get rid of it. But if you have to buy everything new, the hoop runs suggested by other posters are likely to be cheaper.

Greenhouse frame with hardware cloth over it, add a clear tarp over top for light and weather protection.

Same with hoop coop. You'll need to use rebar or fencing to stake the structure so the cattle panels don't push the base outwards. Also add framing to stabilize the ends.

Can use wood to put a base on the structure and frame out a door.

Budget is still probably around 1-2K for a 20'x10' structure and that's as inexpensive as I could make it. Using found materials or scavenged lumber can reduce cost, but hardware (screws, washers, etc) are still going to cost you.

Back
Top Bottom