Inexperienced chicken mom here

Dionnab

In the Brooder
Jun 13, 2016
I have a Drarf Orlandsk who only started laying a couple of weeks ago. She was laying almost every day. She suddenly stopped and sits on the nest a lot. There is a golf ball in the nest. She gets of and runs away cackling and clucking loudly, if I try to touch her. What is going on with her? Help!

Sounds like signs of broodiness, but after only laying for such a short time, it seems a little strange.

CT

Broody, no doubt... can happen much earlier with bantams than lf too... I had a bantam Call duck that laid for 4 weeks only before she decided to set, hatched a full brood and was an excellent mother too...

I have a Drarf Orlandsk who only started laying a couple of weeks ago. She was laying almost every day. She suddenly stopped and sits on the nest a lot. There is a golf ball in the nest. She gets of and runs away cackling and clucking loudly, if I try to touch her. What is going on with her? Help!
Is she sitting on the nest at night too?

Take the golf ball out....Just her way of being bossy....Pecking order in action. She is young. I had two hens last year that started to lay and then nothing for a few weeks. Their bodies need to get in sync. Soon she will get into the groove.

Thank you so much. I took the golf ball out and locked her out of the nest she was sitting in today. We will see?

Back
Top Bottom