Infants: Formula vs. Raw Milk

Back in the day women used to use canned carnation milk for thier babies, (diluted 3 ounces water to one ounce of milk if I remember correctly) before they came out with 'formula'. My brother was a carnation baby...and it shows:>)

I have used "raw" goats milk with my 2 children. I diluted it half milk and half water till they got use to the taste and gradually increased the milk. My goat milk is not pasturized at all
big_smile.png
( Don't tell your doctor, if you use unpaturized; I don't , I just say they are on goat milk).
big_smile.png
My kids are healthy as little baby goats!!!
tongue.png
It is very good for the child and not rough on their stomaches like cows, my 1year old still has tummy aches from the cows milk.
I hope this helps. Good luck with everything.

Well, all I can tell you is what I did. My sons were raised on a homemade formula, never commercial stuff with all the coconut fat in them. For a time, when it was available, we used raw cow's milk from a dairy that delivered to the door. The boys were both very healthy growing up and never had any allergies.

lots of ways to increase mom's supply. is she actually nursing or pumping only, or both? babies at the breast get much more than what mom can get with a pump--don't be fooled into thinking that all the baby is getting is what mom can pump--they are much, much more efficient.

feed baby more often
drink more fluids
eat oatmeal
drink teas with fennel, blessed thistle, fenugreek
take fenugreek (from the health food store, a supplement) three times daily. when mom smells like maple syrup (breath, sweat, etc.) you are getting enough --keep it up. it has an amaing effect on milk supply and is all natural.
reglan is a prescription drug your ped may prescribe for mom...it has milk-producing side effects.

raw milks have advantages for humans of weaning age and beyond but anything you add to the diet of an infant that is not breastmilk is less than nutritionally ideal.

if bf is a goal, see here:

www.lalecheleague.org

Mom is not producing enough to make her gain the recommended 4oz per week. She is gaining only 2-3oz per week.
We are working with a pediatrician and a lactation counselor. There is no health problem other than slow weight gain.

I think 2-3 oz is good, she is gaining, I would be worries if she wasn't gaining anything, or losing weight.
Plz, If you wife is nursing keep at it, My little guy wasn't gaining enough, but they were looking at formula fed infant charts. Nursing infants gain weight different. My ped practicality forced me to give my infant formula after every feeding to force weight gain, I was worried cuz he was a little guy, and so I caved and fed the formula after every nursing.He didn't still didn't gain enough to make him happy. I think as long as they are gaining, and not losing you have nothing to worry about.
Have your wife nurse and then pump to make sure the baby is getting the hind milk. It is the fattiest part, like dessert!
My little guy never was on those charts, and never did!
I believe the ruflex my son had was due to the formula/nursing regimen.
His stomach was so messed up.
Have you wife do a nurse in, not the right term, but have her snuggle in and nurse the baby on demand all day, do nothing else but rest and snuggle and nurse, this will help get her milk production up.
Try mother's milk tea. To help boost her milk!
This is why mother fail when nursing, people telling them they don't have enough milk, and worrying them to death they are starving their child. Never measure milk production by how much you are getting from pumping because it is nothing like what the baby sucking actually gets.
Keep at it, you are doing the right things, keep us posted
Brenda
There are brest feed groups out there on the web, and they will help you like this group helps us with chickens, they will help you brain storm and find an answer!​

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom