Infared thermometer

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by vpeterson, Mar 4, 2011.

1. vpeterson

vpeterson Songster

My husband brought home an infared thermometer that he bought at NAPA (used for cars?). You just aim it at an egg and it gives you the temp. inside of the egg. Very nifty. I find that the temps inside the eggs do vary as to were they are sitting in the incubator. Anyone else using one of these?

2. tracecom

tracecom Songster

Jan 16, 2010
    I haven't used one, but it would be helpful to see the differences between eggs based on where they are placed. I do know that there can be really big differences in temperature between the bottom of an incubator and the top. I believe that the infrared thermometer is actually reading the surface temperature of the egg rather than the inside.

3. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Songster

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Still really useful to see if there are cool spots etc in your bator. That sounds really neat. Are they expensive?

4. vpeterson

vpeterson Songster

Quote:Not sure of the price. We bought it with points we had accumulated from napa. My husband thinks that you can get a mid range one for 20 dollars.

5. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Color seems to effect there accuracy, as does how much light can pass threw the object. I've had one for years an use it in the incubator some but its not accurate enough to be real useful. Works great for what I use it for on cars.

6. aprophet

aprophet Songster

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Quote:X2 this is mostly what I use mine for when I built my 2 bators mine is a fluke brand I use it at work too I repair A/C's and walk in refrigerators / freezers

7. dretd

dretd Songster

Apr 14, 2009
    Ft Collins, CO
    I am experimenting with using one on my current hatch. I have a culinary one that is pretty accurate and cost around $50 on sale. It does only do the surface of the egg, not internal temperature.

If I scan across the surface of each individual egg the temperature varies about 0.5 degrees and the differences between eggs can vary as much as 1.5 degrees. I also have 6 different thermometers in the incubator and am tracking the data to see what is most consistent over time. If I find value in the IR thermometer I will report the data after the hatch.

I must say I do think its really fun to play with and highly recommend the gadget!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: