Infared thermometer

vpeterson

Songster
11 Years
May 2, 2009
Forest Lake, Minnesota
My husband brought home an infared thermometer that he bought at NAPA (used for cars?). You just aim it at an egg and it gives you the temp. inside of the egg. Very nifty. I find that the temps inside the eggs do vary as to were they are sitting in the incubator. Anyone else using one of these?

I haven't used one, but it would be helpful to see the differences between eggs based on where they are placed. I do know that there can be really big differences in temperature between the bottom of an incubator and the top. I believe that the infrared thermometer is actually reading the surface temperature of the egg rather than the inside.

Color seems to effect there accuracy, as does how much light can pass threw the object. I've had one for years an use it in the incubator some but its not accurate enough to be real useful. Works great for what I use it for on cars.

Quote:
X2 this is mostly what I use mine for when I built my 2 bators mine is a fluke brand I use it at work too I repair A/C's and walk in refrigerators / freezers

I am experimenting with using one on my current hatch. I have a culinary one that is pretty accurate and cost around $50 on sale. It does only do the surface of the egg, not internal temperature.

If I scan across the surface of each individual egg the temperature varies about 0.5 degrees and the differences between eggs can vary as much as 1.5 degrees. I also have 6 different thermometers in the incubator and am tracking the data to see what is most consistent over time. If I find value in the IR thermometer I will report the data after the hatch.

I must say I do think its really fun to play with and highly recommend the gadget!

Back
Top Bottom