infected CRD & other chickens

OkieRunner

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 18, 2013
Oklahoma
Today I noticed one of my barred rocks had the "Watery eye" and some "White foam" in the corner of her eye. I immidetly removed her from the rest of the flock. She must have developed this over night...with the little exposure to the rest of my flock, do you suspect them to be infected as well? I plan on treating with LA 200 or Neomycin. Should I treat the other chickens that show no sign of the CRD? Do i need to some how clean the inside of my coop where she was roosted?

Your other birds might be infected too. Definitely keep the hen isolated. I personally wouldn't treat the birds that aren't showing symptoms with any antibiotics. Do give them some probiotics and electrolytes, though, to keep their immune systems strong. LA 200 should work, but if it doesn't, try some Tylan50. Tylan50 is a very good antibiotic for respiratory diseases.

If you are suspecting mycoplasma, I have read that it doesn't travel as easily through the air over long distances, as some of the other diseases. MG lasts about 3 days on surfaces. Neomycin is not for treatment of CRD--it is more of an intestinal disease drug. If you decide to treat this chicken rather than cull it from your flock, Tylan or the oxytetracycline would be appropriate drugs. MG (CRD) of course is a carrier disease, one that all chickens coming into your flock ill be exposed to. Even if you treat this bird, it can infect your other birds. Here is a good article on MG: http://umaine.edu/livestock/poultry/mycoplasma-gallisepticum-faq/

i have no problem culling this chicken. i love my chickens, but if one is going to infect the rest of my flock then i will just cull it out. If i choose to go ahead and give the non-symptomatic chickens some LA200, will it hurt them?

She may have a simple eye infection,watery/foamy eyes can be a result of eye infection/irritation,not always a contagious disease. I have seen chickens with eye infections have watery/foamy eyes. Have also seen chickens that have had something irritate eyes have foamy/watery eyes. Separate and monitor her,if she has no symptoms,then it is probably an eye infection.

something to note that i left out*

I had just added two splash wyandottes to my pen/coop. i got them from a trusted guy i buy from. Could the barred rock hen have been pecked in the eye as they figured out the pecking order? Or could the change in coop brought on some stress that brought the CRD to the surface? Again, no other chicken have runny noses or sneezing or act sickly. Nor does the chicken with the runny eye...

Did you quarantine the Wyndottes? They could be your carrier birds. Carrier birds look fine but spread it to the rest of your flock.

Unfortunately there are many stories on here about very similar issues. The birds were from trusted sources however turned out to be carriers. Quarantine all new birds for at least a month. I recently got birds from a trusted source who is both NPIP and MG tested but they STILL went into isolation and are on their third week out of 4. MG can be carried in on wild birds etc and they may not realize that they have it as the carriers look fine or it may be just the beginning stages for his birds as well. For your sake I hope she got pecked but sorry to say its more likely not the case.

Last edited:
something to note that i left out*

I had just added two splash wyandottes to my pen/coop. i got them from a trusted guy i buy from. Could the barred rock hen have been pecked in the eye as they figured out the pecking order? Or could the change in coop brought on some stress that brought the CRD to the surface? Again, no other chicken have runny noses or sneezing or act sickly. Nor does the chicken with the runny eye...
Do you have room to just watch the chicken with foamy eye for awhile? You can't really prevent a disease by giving antibiotics if they have already been exposed. But you might want to wait and see how the one with the eye problem looks in a week or so. There is no rush to cull--just keep the affected chicken in isolation.

Back
Top Bottom