Infected Prolapsed Vent

I too have a chicken with what appears to be a huge prolapsed vent - you may have seen my post on here a couple of weeks ago - despite all of my efforts to (gently ) push back her vent, it too, keeps coming back out again - I have applied honey - enough cling wrap to cover all of my animals and the cling wrap and veterinary wrap fall off after a few minutes _ I have resigned myself to the fact that despite my best efforts ( i.e. spending an hour plus every day trying to bathe and push back what does not belong in the open air ), nothing has any possibe effect!

She eats well - poo's and is drinking water with Tetracycline, she has two other companions that take no notice whatsoever of her "problem" - I would have no hesitation in euthanasing her if she showed any signs of distress - she amazes me!

I have no solution for you - it is very sad for me that I cannot resolve her issues - while she has a will to live I can only abide by her, keep her  as comfortable as I can and see what nature dictates.

I wish you well whatever you decide to do for your unlucky chicken

Suzie

This is exactly what I am going through. I have her confined, but she is drinking, eating a little, and pooing. What happened to your chick?

Sadly I had to end her life some two weeks later...the prolapse was enormous and she started going downhill, when she stopped eating and drinking I had no hesitation in ending her struggle to survive...she let me know when she had given up...

I have had others since that have prolapsed and all of them are fine now...no further issues.

I am so sorry to hear about your loss. I have a hen who is going on a year old next week and she prolapsed on Sunday. I soaked her bottom and pushed the vent back in and she seemed fine. Next day same scenario and it went back in so I put a laundry basket and blanket over her in the coop(we have a large coop) and no one bothered her. She remained fine when I let her out at dusk, however the next morning, I checked on her and she had prolapsed again. Any attempt to replace the prolapse failed. I am heading out to check on her now and soak her in a epsom salt and witch hazel bath. I do rub grapeseed oil(little to no smell)on her vent once it is pushed back in to prevent pasty butt, etc.

do not use peroxide as it kills live tissue
MY DAUGHTER HAD THIS WITH A PULLET
SHE CLEANED HER UP WITH SOAP AND WATER AND PUSHED THE VENT BACK IN
and put BAG BALM ON HER VENT VERY HEAVILY
then she kept her ina small dog crate in thegarage and doctored her for two weeks daily and put bag balm on her vent
and after three weeks she was ready to go back in the hen house after dark at night
she is still laying 1-1/2 yrs later

Back
Top Bottom