Infected toe. What can I do to help my duck?

I soak feet in warm water with Epsom salts (be sure the duck doesn't drink this because when taken by mouth Epsom salts can cause diarrhea). With the wound on the end of the toe, it's more difficult to wrap/bandage it. You might want to look into using tricide-neo. I don't believe you have to wrap the foot with this treatment and it would probably help both of the other digits swelling as well as the most involved inside digit. I haven't used tricide-neo personally, but many people have used it with great success. The one time I've had a duck with an infection at the end of her toe, it was a Buff Duck which is smaller than a Pekin. Is your duck a Pekin?

View attachment 3218981
One of my ducks has recently become lame due to an infected toe. The vet gave me an anti inflammatory and Some antibiotics which i have to her twice a day all last week but there has been no change. Anyone else know what I can do?
UPDATE: it’s getting worse?!
I soaked her foot in an epsom salt bath but when I assessed her toe, the scab under her toe is gone but it’s now completely closed over and it’s squishy but nothing happens when you squeeze it. I will be ringing the vets tomorrow but thought I’d see if anyone has seen this before. It’s definitely much more swollen than before and definitely very sore to the touch.

Attachments

• D3179A71-3B72-455D-81D9-79238D2CF78C.jpeg
    D3179A71-3B72-455D-81D9-79238D2CF78C.jpeg
    568.6 KB · Views: 3
It almost looks like a hangnail infection but I couldn’t get anything but a bit of blood out. She’s not following her male companion around likely due to pain and swelling.
IMG_0575.jpeg

Do yoy have any drawling salve ?
You can soak her foot in Epson salt 10-15 mins
Don’t let her drink the water
Then I use drawing salve and wrap it up
She may need an antibiotic
My vet usually gives me
Clavamox
Not sure if you can get meds without a vet
I was going to suggest PRID, which is a drawing salve, then put gauze to cover and keep it there, but wrapping a duck's foot with vet wrap or whatever has to be a talent.

She could have caught the nail on something and anything like that can bring on an infection. If the Epsom salt doesn't seem to be helping you could try a drawing salve but if it's been going on for a while you might want to start her on an antibiotic. Plus keep up with soaking too. :welcome

Back
Top Bottom