junibug

In the Brooder
May 27, 2021
my hen was attacked by something the other night, likely a fox or dog. her wing is broken and she has quite a few wounds. the largest, being a puncture wound, is infected and oozing green pus even though i’ve been disenfecting it quite a few times daily. i’m worried about how bad it could get and am unsure of how to proceed. she’s staying inside right now. any tips please :(

my hen was attacked by something the other night, likely a fox or dog. her wing is broken and she has quite a few wounds. the largest, being a puncture wound, is infected and oozing green pus even though i’ve been disenfecting it quite a few times daily. i’m worried about how bad it could get and am unsure of how to proceed. she’s staying inside right now. any tips please :(
also concerning, is that the other wounds have scabbed and closed, but this one is constantly wet and open

Can you get clear pictures of the wound?
it’s pretty clogged with feathers that i’m afraid to remove because everytime i try, they take away a bunch of flesh with them. (the bandage is holding her broken wing to her body) the wound is on her breastbone.
04AABA19-2A9E-4416-BF65-5D0F4C667498.jpeg

I recommend flushing the wound with saline & chlorhexidine. Is a vet an option?
the only exotic animal vet in my area i know of is outrageously expensive, and for something like this i just can’t afford vet care. last time i took her to this vet they charged me over 200 dollars for a beak trim. if all else fails i’ll take her though.

Back
Top Bottom