Infection Going Around my Flock, One Dead

User4477

Chirping
Jun 24, 2021
Southern California
I had a hen die 2 days ago, her symptoms included:

-green poop

-gurgly/phlegmy breathing

-labored breathing (not opening beak, though)

-didn't lay eggs

She was still eating, drinking, walking around just fine until right before she died (she sneezed excessively, then couldn't breathe and seemed like she asphyxiated when she died. She also had brown foam come out from her mouth).

Now, one of the other hens who was housed with her is holding both her eyes partially closed (not very noticeable at all, but noticeable to me). Right now she has no other symptoms but I'm worried she caught whatever the other one had. She's housed with a rooster and another hen.

Should I separate her? How should I treat her? I tried giving the first hen Baytril but she died, so I don't know if I should give this hen some before she develops more worrying symptoms?

I did send a fecal test to the vet, but I would have to make an appointment with them so they can swab her throat, but I won't get an appointment until 2 weeks out because there's only one chicken vet, and by that time I'm afraid it will be too late (my first girl deteriorated quite quickly).

What are my options? Should I wait to see if she gets better on her own? Should I treat her with Baytril? I just gave her some probiotics to see if it helps. I also wiped the wooden coop down with vinegar, changed the bedding, and replaced all the dirt from the run

Sorry for your loss.

What were the results of the fecal float?

Photos of the current hen you are concerned about - hen, poop, eyes, etc.?

Check this hen's crop to make sure it's emptying overnight. Look her over for lice/mites.

Sorry for your loss.

Check this hen's crop to make sure it's emptying overnight. Look her over for lice/mites.
Thank you, if results are normal I'll find out Monday, if there is something wrong, they won't let me know until Thursday.

I will take pictures of her tomorrow if she makes the night and check her crop before she eats. I don't see mites or lice that I can tell, but I did spray her down with Pure Planet Poultry Spray just in case. I will take a picture of her vent area as well because I'm not sure if it looks normal.

Sorry for your loss.

Attachments

• IMG_6466.jpeg
    IMG_6466.jpeg
    483.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_6469.jpeg
    IMG_6469.jpeg
    471 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_6478.jpeg
    IMG_6478.jpeg
    538.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_6479.jpeg
    IMG_6479.jpeg
    448.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_6481.jpeg
    IMG_6481.jpeg
    615.1 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_6486.jpeg
    IMG_6486.jpeg
    560 KB · Views: 14
Is she acting sick at all?

I see something like a possible peck/injury (tiny) to the upper eye lid.
Her stance looks good, eyes clear.
Poop is a bit mucousy, but hard to know about that. See what the fecal float results are.
Vent looks like that of a hen in production to me. Is she having difficulties laying an egg?

Is she acting sick at all?

I see something like a possible peck/injury (tiny) to the upper eye lid.
Her stance looks good, eyes clear.
Poop is a bit mucousy, but hard to know about that. See what the fecal float results are.
Vent looks like that of a hen in production to me. Is she having difficulties laying an egg?
She's not acting sick, no breathing problems, weird noises or anything, just her eyes appear slightly closed/tired/a bit swollen to me, but I could be overly paranoid because of my last girl. She's been laying regularly, I just had to clip and wash some feathers under her vent because they were caked with poop.

I do have her separated just in case, should I put her back with the others to limit stress since she's not really showing other symptoms?

She's not acting sick, no breathing problems, weird noises or anything, just her eyes appear slightly closed/tired/a bit swollen to me, but I could be overly paranoid because of my last girl. She's been laying regularly, I just had to clip and wash some feathers under her vent because they were caked with poop.

I do have her separated just in case, should I put her back with the others to limit stress since she's not really showing other symptoms?
You are there to access her, so putting her back would be up to you.

You are there to access her, so putting her back would be up to you.
I ended up putting her back, and so far still no more symptoms. I got the results for the fecal test and they said everything is normal, no parasites or coccidia, so I'm a bit more relieved for now.
This is my first time owning chickens so I appreciate your advice so much, thank you

She was still eating, drinking, walking around just fine until right before she died (she sneezed excessively, then couldn't breathe and seemed like she asphyxiated when she died. She also had brown foam come out from her mouth).
So sorry for your loss ❤️
This exact same thing happened to my chicken Hazel a few months ago, she was just fine, maybe a tiny bit sick and then all the sudden she died the exact same way you described. Thankfully my flock has been fine and this didn't happen to anyone else.

Back
Top Bottom