Infection or healing?

I'm glad she is healing up and has gone back with her flock.

Do you have photos of the bloody poop you see within the flock and perhaps you can get one of the white worm?

Corid is used to treat Coccidiosis, which can cause blood in the poop. I would treat all of them with the Corid.
Liquid Corid dose is 2tsp or Powdered Corid Dose is 1 1/2tsp per gallon of water given for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.
Do not add any extra vitamins/electrolytes that contain B1(Thiamine) to food or water during the course of treatment.

Worms could also cause some blood in the poop, so it may be a good idea to deworm your flock as well. A small white worm sounds like it may be Roundworm or Cecal worms, but without seeing it, it's hard to know. Safeguard (Fenbendazole) or Valbazen (Albendazole) would be good choices to use for deworming.

To treat Roundworms Only - Safeguard dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once, then repeated in 10 days.

To treat most worms that poultry can have except for Tapeworm - Safeguard dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once a day for 5 days in a row.

Valbazen dose is 0.08ml per pound of weight given orally once, then repeated in 10 days.
It’s been over a week with coild treatment and the chicken is not improving but no one else is acting sick, tried to isolate for a day so it could eat and drink but cried the whole night so I set it back with the others as hearing it cry for so long was to much. It’s still not looking good, about to leave for the weekend so going to stop coild treatment… I hope I don’t come home to a dead chicken, I don’t want to deworm my flock (money reason and stress) and I’m considering putting the sick one down. I’m going threw so much right now and don’t know what to do. Everyone said chickens were easy and these guys are giving me a run for my money I will be downsizing the flock in the spring so should I just get rid of the sick one now I’m sorry I just don’t know what to do.

Attachments

• F72EB4E0-A7C8-4E87-94AE-6A180AC67F8F.jpeg
    F72EB4E0-A7C8-4E87-94AE-6A180AC67F8F.jpeg
    454.7 KB · Views: 6
  • A39A2E08-8D06-491E-BC2A-FD73A8CFC6F9.jpeg
    A39A2E08-8D06-491E-BC2A-FD73A8CFC6F9.jpeg
    614.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 8B8B579C-00B3-41BA-BE5C-ECD2A86B2020.jpeg
    8B8B579C-00B3-41BA-BE5C-ECD2A86B2020.jpeg
    560.7 KB · Views: 4
  • BB005F6C-D067-4D39-A0F3-DB6BDE3E31D4.jpeg
    BB005F6C-D067-4D39-A0F3-DB6BDE3E31D4.jpeg
    852.9 KB · Views: 5
It’s been over a week with coild treatment and the chicken is not improving but no one else is acting sick, tried to isolate for a day so it could eat and drink but cried the whole night so I set it back with the others as hearing it cry for so long was to much. It’s still not looking good, about to leave for the weekend so going to stop coild treatment… I hope I don’t come home to a dead chicken, I don’t want to deworm my flock (money reason and stress) and I’m considering putting the sick one down. I’m going threw so much right now and don’t know what to do. Everyone said chickens were easy and these guys are giving me a run for my money I will be downsizing the flock in the spring so should I just get rid of the sick one now I’m sorry I just don’t know what to do.
What other symptoms do you see besides the poop?

It looks like intestinal shedding along with mucous. But it's quite a bit and seems to be ongoing so it would be a good idea to deworm when you can.

I'm sorry things are stressful and not going very well right now. Hopefully things will calm down soon. :hugs

What other symptoms do you see besides the poop?

It looks like intestinal shedding along with mucous. But it's quite a bit and seems to be ongoing so it would be a good idea to deworm when you can.

I'm sorry things are stressful and not going very well right now. Hopefully things will calm down soon. :hugs
She is isolating her self not wanting to eat much as the others… not even cooked eggs she wants. Can’t tell who’s poops who’s tho.
Here she is tonight.. she apparently hopped over the fence to be by her self today…. Would be able to deworm maybe start of next month but they don’t even let me hold them so it would be very very difficult stressful for me. She’s eating and drinking coild treatment will be over soon then will give lots of electro lights and vitamins and gonna get them some plain yogurt. What more can you do when they were to be live stock not pets when do you put down? My biggest fear at the moment is it dying over the weekend none of my roomates noticing as they are never outside and the flock stepping on a dead member for a few days ( also first time going away from them got a auto door and food and water should be set for two days). These two birds from the same set pullets from the feed store don’t have good luck - 1 attacked by hawk and then the other sick. Ugh help weather is dropping now as well, costal California so no frost but can get cold some nights.

Attachments

• 287F09B0-524B-447D-BCC9-766A99B1D4E0.jpeg
    287F09B0-524B-447D-BCC9-766A99B1D4E0.jpeg
    376.5 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Looks like she's very timid and may be isolating more due worry about getting picked at or bullied.

The decision to cull is up to you.

I cull when a bird is clearly suffering/sick and I feel there's no hope for recovery.

Looks like she's very timid and may be isolating more due worry about getting picked at or bullied.

The decision to cull is up to you.

I cull when a bird is clearly suffering/sick and I feel there's no hope for recovery.
Here she is eating mush with everyone today. Not going to cull atm as I think I see improvement

Attachments

• E126B884-10A6-450F-AA5A-C46B2B5D431E.jpeg
    E126B884-10A6-450F-AA5A-C46B2B5D431E.jpeg
    940.6 KB · Views: 4
I apologize for not remembering who I copied this info from 😕

But. The safeguard goat de wormer is about 34$ off Amazon. The Valbazen is available from Valley Vet, but more expensive for the bottle and takes a bit longer to get.
You might also check pricing at your local feed stores- they are sometimes less expensive than ordering online.
I’ve not done the “per dose” math. But here is an “abridged” reply that I’ve saved from another thread :

“I would get some Valbazen or SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer, or the SafeGuard Equine Paste to worm your chickens. Those are safe and proven wormers. Dosage of Valbazen is 1/2 ml for a standard size chicken given orally once, and repeated in 10-14 days. That treats most chicken worms except the more rare tapeworms. SafeGuard dosage is 1/4 ml per pound given orally for 5 consecutive days. You can give it once and then repeat in 10 days for roundworms only.”

“There is a small amount of wormer that is found in the egg, so if you don’t want to eat that you should use a 14 day egg withdrawal after using either one. Some people have been known to ignore that, but don’t share or sell eggs during the withdrawal time. Albendazole, the ingredient in Valbazen, is used in humans to treat worms as well.”

Here she is eating mush with everyone today. Not going to cull atm as I think I see improvement
Promising news!
I apologize for not remembering who I copied this info from 😕

But. The safeguard goat de wormer is about 34$ off Amazon. The Valbazen is available from Valley Vet, but more expensive for the bottle and takes a bit longer to get.
You might also check pricing at your local feed stores- they are sometimes less expensive than ordering online.
I’ve not done the “per dose” math. But here is an “abridged” reply that I’ve saved from another thread :

“I would get some Valbazen or SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer, or the SafeGuard Equine Paste to worm your chickens. Those are safe and proven wormers. Dosage of Valbazen is 1/2 ml for a standard size chicken given orally once, and repeated in 10-14 days. That treats most chicken worms except the more rare tapeworms. SafeGuard dosage is 1/4 ml per pound given orally for 5 consecutive days. You can give it once and then repeat in 10 days for roundworms only.”

“There is a small amount of wormer that is found in the egg, so if you don’t want to eat that you should use a 14 day egg withdrawal after using either one. Some people have been known to ignore that, but don’t share or sell eggs during the withdrawal time. Albendazole, the ingredient in Valbazen, is used in humans to treat worms as well.”
Did you know if you "quote" the post you are wanting to refer to, then come to the thread you want to post/share and hit the "insert quote" and it will post/share it?

Also if you just want to give a "link" instead of quoting a post, you can choose the "share" icon and it will give you a drop down, click on the "copy to clipboard" icon and then paste it into the thread you wish to share/post it in.

Just a few tips that I've found that make sharing posts/links easier. Don't ask me how long it took me seeing those little icon things before I decided they might be there for a reason and begin to wonder what they were... 🤔😅

1697083242680.png

Using the copy/paste - it will post the links like this:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...-is-or-what-i-should-do.1599778/post-27205944

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...-is-or-what-i-should-do.1599778/post-27207328

If you quote/then insert quote, it will show up like this on ANY thread you choose to insert it in:
I would get some Valbazen or SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer, or the SafeGuard Equine Paste to worm your chickens. Those are safe and proven wormers. Dosage of Valbazen is 1/2 ml for a standard size chicken given orally once, and repeated in 10-14 days. That treats most chicken worms except the more rare tapeworms. SafeGuard dosage is 1/4 ml per pound given orally for 5 consecutive days. You can give it once and then repeat in 10 days for roundworms only. It helps to see pictures of worms.

Promising news!

Did you know if you "quote" the post you are wanting to refer to, then come to the thread you want to post/share and hit the "insert quote" and it will post/share it?

Also if you just want to give a "link" instead of quoting a post, you can choose the "share" icon and it will give you a drop down, click on the "copy to clipboard" icon and then paste it into the thread you wish to share/post it in.

Just a few tips that I've found that make sharing posts/links easier. Don't ask me how long it took me seeing those little icon things before I decided they might be there for a reason and begin to wonder what they were... 🤔😅

View attachment 3657744
Using the copy/paste - it will post the links like this:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/please-please-help-my-chickens-have-worms-i-don’t-know-what-it-is-or-what-i-should-do.1599778/post-27205944

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/please-please-help-my-chickens-have-worms-i-don’t-know-what-it-is-or-what-i-should-do.1599778/post-27207328

If you quote/then insert quote, it will show up like this on ANY thread you choose to insert it in:
I very much appreciate the tips 💕

I’ve just been copying and pasting helpful info to my notes on my phone (I use my phone for BYC, not a computer)
.....and realized (today) that I need to include the OP of the helpful info, and/ or a link to the threads in my notes 🤦‍♀️

I should have at least pulled some keywords and found the original post- not a good excuse - but I was on the run and just trying to help 💕

I very much appreciate the tips 💕

I’ve just been copying and pasting helpful info to my notes on my phone (I use my phone for BYC, not a computer)
.....and realized (today) that I need to include the OP of the helpful info, and/ or a link to the threads in my notes 🤦‍♀️

I should have at least pulled some keywords and found the original post- not a good excuse - but I was on the run and just trying to help 💕
Yikes! I can't do much on a phone! :)

Yikes! I can't do much on a phone! :)
I’m also on a phone in this app and it’s hard it definitely is difficult but don’t have computer- my chicken that was attacked by a hawk Is all healed and back with flock no more bloody poops from the flock and the chicken I was worried about is drinking and eating!

Back
Top Bottom