Infection or healing?

If she is feeling spicy enough to be trying to escape, that is a fantastic sign!

I second the idea of putting her closer to her buddies- or bringing a calm hen in to her “hospital pen” to keep her company.

What are you treating her wound with?
Triple antibiotic, or...?

Looks to be healing o.k.

You can try penning her near them, see how she does.
Nope just try’s to fly threw the cage, prob tore it more… is if okay to keep a blanket fully over the cage for another week as it heals, she’s escaped twice when trying to get her for wound cleaning by sprinting out of the cage. We found out if we go to clean at night and throw a blanket over her whole body works best for catching her. Im just afraid the stress will be to much and she’s going to pass, or get infection. Crazy she’s alive but keeping her safe and clean is proving to be more stressful then maybe it would be to loose the bird to the eagle😖

If she is feeling spicy enough to be trying to escape, that is a fantastic sign!

I second the idea of putting her closer to her buddies- or bringing a calm hen in to her “hospital pen” to keep her company.

What are you treating her wound with?
Triple antibiotic, or...?
Triple antibiotic after vetmed poultry spray.., has moved to once a day as getting her out has proven so stressful. Moved her over with them this morning lifted the cover one side which we have been doing during day and she freaked out at the bars trying to come out so I put the blanket back on and threw her and the other lady’s some treats. Thinking that keeping her in the dark is maybe best route to heal as she doesn’t move as much and doing wound clean at night catching her by throwing a towel over her. Worried she may become very depressed she is only a pullet tho so like eggs aren’t to factor in, eats like crazy though dosent have to fight with the other older birds for food.

Nope just try’s to fly threw the cage, prob tore it more… is if okay to keep a blanket fully over the cage for another week as it heals, she’s escaped twice when trying to get her for wound cleaning by sprinting out of the cage. We found out if we go to clean at night and throw a blanket over her whole body works best for catching her. Im just afraid the stress will be to much and she’s going to pass, or get infection. Crazy she’s alive but keeping her safe and clean is proving to be more stressful then maybe it would be to loose the bird to the eagle😖
I get what you are saying.... but it hits a little too close to home rn-
I lost 3 of my bachelor Tom turkeys (slated to sell for thanksgiving) to a bobcat (I believe) yesterday 💔
I sure wish I was nursing wounds instead of looking at an empty pen....
Trail cam is set up. Maybe the predator in question will be caught on camera so it can be dealt with.
A branch had fallen on the cover for the pen and tore it in a storm a few days prior. The boys were all 30-40# and didn’t try to fly, ever. They were all too heavy to jump/ fly over the fence, I thought I’d be ok waiting for the weather to clear up a bit before repairing.
Nothing dug in. I found one partial print in a muddy area that looks like a bobcat print. Looks like it/ they jumped over the fence thru the opening, and back w the birds. One feather trail, far away from the pen. No carcasses. No sign of a fight in the run. Came home from work to check on everyone and found an empty pen.
Searched and searched until I had to go for a bit to get some feed I really needed, and found the feather trail after I came back (it wasn’t there when I left)
Breaks my heart that one of them was obviously hiding, and got flushed out after I left 😭

Broad daylight.
Everyone else has been stuck in their coops today, until I can upgrade the fortification around my runs.
They aren’t happy. But they also aren’t dead.

Can you get photos of where you are keeping her?
What breed is she?

I lost 3 of my bachelor Tom turkeys (slated to sell for thanksgiving) to a bobcat (I believe) yesterday 💔
Trail cam is set up. Maybe the predator in question will be caught on camera so it can be dealt with.
A branch had fallen on the cover for the pen and tore it in a storm a few days prior. The boys were all 30-40# and didn’t try to fly, ever. They were all too heavy to jump/ fly over the fence, I thought I’d be ok waiting for the weather to clear up a bit before repairing.
Nothing dug in. I found one partial print in a muddy area that looks like a bobcat print. Looks like it/ they jumped over the fence thru the opening, and back w the birds. One feather trail, far away from the pen. No carcasses. No sign of a fight in the run. Came home from work to check on everyone and found an empty pen.
Searched and searched until I had to go for a bit to get some feed I really needed, and found the feather trail after I came back (it wasn’t there when I left)
Breaks my heart that one of them was obviously hiding, and got flushed out after I left 😭

Broad daylight.
Everyone else has been stuck in their coops today, until I can upgrade the fortification around my runs.
Oh goodness!
I'm sorry to hear this, how terrible:hugs

Broad daylight.
I’m sorry 😖 for me life and death is apart of life and I have trouble with having to keep a bird in hospital pen because I have anxiety and such, and I want it to live…. And be happy and I’m stressed if I know it’s stressed like when I have to clean it’s wound 😭 I’m sorry about your toms my flock is finally back to normal ish behavior.
Watch for that bobcat at night is what I would do…. I also use solar motion activator lights by coop wakes us up and scares away predators.. cats are smart but three birds that where going to go for thanksgiving sounds like a big load… any lions in your area… how did the cat get in I’m so so sorry 😭 good luck ❤️
Can you get photos of where you are keeping her?
What breed is she?

Oh goodness!
I'm sorry to hear this, how terrible:hugs
She was labeled as a golden sexlink.. she’s in a XL or XXL metal dog crate, with blanket over we lift one side but keep it coverd three side during day as it keeps her calmer and she dosent understand fences (her and all the other ones we got two months ago try to walk threw the wire and fences) …we moved her next to the run so she’s near the other birds during the day and I think that helped her calm down. They can see each other but two layers of fences so no pecking. Due to where the cut is we notice that if she is jumping that skin is moving and breaking the scab so she has no roost. The wound is looking so good I forgot to even take a photo, no smell of infection and is scabbing over and tomorrow afternoon will be one week from attack. It was sprinkling today so we put tarp over her. Still eating and drinking well. Doing once a day cleanings of wound at night when she’s is calmer. Thank you everyone for your help

Attachments

• AC2883D5-DF18-40FC-A267-9CF96E57F372.jpeg
    AC2883D5-DF18-40FC-A267-9CF96E57F372.jpeg
    701 KB · Views: 6
So it’s almost been two weeks and she got out today when changing things in the cage and ran back with the other flock right away watched for a bit no bullying. When closing coop i looked at her as they are so calm at night and the wound is closed all the way and she’s prob happier with the flock so leaving her with them. I am treating everyone right now with coild as we are having bloody diarrhea and I saw a small white worm dont think tape worm and I was dumb and introduced new chickens and didn’t quarantine. The other red pullet shows signs of sickness not sure if it was the bloody pooper but it isolates itself sometimes and just looks rough loosing feathers etc, also still very fearful of me, the other three white pullets I got same store different cage are getting more friendly with me and definitely show food motivation.

Looks to be healing.

Just keep it clean, keep her where flies can't get into the wounds and apply triple antibiotic ointment to keep it moist.

Infection signs are bad odor, angry red skin, oozing pus. Generally, you can't mistake infection, you'll smell it...
X2

So it’s almost been two weeks and she got out today when changing things in the cage and ran back with the other flock right away watched for a bit no bullying. When closing coop i looked at her as they are so calm at night and the wound is closed all the way and she’s prob happier with the flock so leaving her with them. I am treating everyone right now with coild as we are having bloody diarrhea and I saw a small white worm dont think tape worm and I was dumb and introduced new chickens and didn’t quarantine. The other red pullet shows signs of sickness not sure if it was the bloody pooper but it isolates itself sometimes and just looks rough loosing feathers etc, also still very fearful of me, the other three white pullets I got same store different cage are getting more friendly with me and definitely show food motivation.
I'm glad she is healing up and has gone back with her flock.

Do you have photos of the bloody poop you see within the flock and perhaps you can get one of the white worm?

Corid is used to treat Coccidiosis, which can cause blood in the poop. I would treat all of them with the Corid.
Liquid Corid dose is 2tsp or Powdered Corid Dose is 1 1/2tsp per gallon of water given for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.
Do not add any extra vitamins/electrolytes that contain B1(Thiamine) to food or water during the course of treatment.

Worms could also cause some blood in the poop, so it may be a good idea to deworm your flock as well. A small white worm sounds like it may be Roundworm or Cecal worms, but without seeing it, it's hard to know. Safeguard (Fenbendazole) or Valbazen (Albendazole) would be good choices to use for deworming.

To treat Roundworms Only - Safeguard dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once, then repeated in 10 days.

To treat most worms that poultry can have except for Tapeworm - Safeguard dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once a day for 5 days in a row.

Valbazen dose is 0.08ml per pound of weight given orally once, then repeated in 10 days.

Back
Top Bottom