Infectious Bronchitis symptoms

Deirdrejd

In the Brooder
Mar 3, 2020
Hi,
One of our chickens has had congestion for well over a month. She had an ear infection about a month ago that has cleared up. But the gurgling sounds in her breathing continue. I don't notice any swelling in her eyes or face. It always looks like she has some dirt around her nostrils that is a little moist. But not sure it this is discharge or just a result of the congestion. I did read that IB should go away eventually. But this seems likes it's been hanging around for at least a couple months. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I'm pretty new to having chickens. Thank you.

Can you get some photos of her?
The ear infection cleared up completely?
Is her crop empty in the mornings?
Have you looked inside her beak for canker or mucousy lesions?

Gurgling sounds when breathing - hard to know the cause unless some testing is done.
There are several respiratory diseases which are fairly common in chickens. You could try an antibiotic to see if that treats the symptoms.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/swollen-crusty-outer-ear.1356467/

Hi, I'm so sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you. Too many things going on. She seemed to be getting better and looks like she is. The ear infection did clear up completely. I used warm water to loosen the crusty parts up, removed the clump of gunk, cleaned around the ear and some inside, and coated it with Neosporin. I haven't checked inside her beak or her crop in the morning. If anything else comes up with her, I will. Thank you so much for the response.

Back
Top Bottom