Infectious Coryza in my flock???? HELP!!!!!!!!!!

Thornhill Farms

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 4, 2014
Cottontown, TN
Had what i think was infectious coryza in my flock two years ago. At the time i had just started keeping chickens and had a mixed flock from about five diff places. Stupid I KNOW NOW! Also did not know survivors carry the disease for life. I still have one of them ( my first hen) and 18 others. Was up to 30 in four sep pens but had to cull 8 due to illness and have lost to in the last two days. Each morning i go out to check on everyone and the past two mornings i have had one with bubbles in the eyes and that awful smell. I seperated them and gave them auromycn feed and vetrx water. It was around seven am when i sep them. By 4pm they were dead. One was yesterday and one was today. The first time this happened my birds toook days or weeks to be sick enough to die. I have never seen one go from first symptoms to death so quickly! I am in shock. I also have also recently learned that keeping chickens of diff ages together is not good. I am down to two pens now. One pens is ok for now but these are my main producers and i have had almost all of them from chicks. 6mo to 2.5 yrs. so i am very attached and culling them all is not an option for me. Do not plan to have any more until whatever survies this round are all gone and our property and pens have been heavily sanitised with chemicals and time. But I am at a loss as to why it is happening so fast. From my research the mortality rate should not be this high or act this fast? Could I be dealing with something other than Infectious coryza? Someone Please HELP! Buying tylan tommorrow to treat all birds even the ones who seem ok because i knoe they have all been exposed at this point. Also should I have an concerns about my dogs, rabbits, or goat becoming ill? I know that most diseases do not go from species to species but worried!
hu.gif
fl.gif
barnie.gif

Mycoplasma Gallisepticum (MG) can accompany coryza at the same time. Sulmet will treat coryza, tylan 50 injectable for MG. I recommend that you cull sick infected birds as medication will eventually become ineffective.

I agree with Dawg 53, and also would suggest that you get a necropsy done by your state vet on one of your chickens, so that you know exactly what is going on. In chicken respiratory diseases there can be secondary bacterial diseases that pile on and add to the severity of your illnesses. Here is a link to read on the common respiratory diseases such as MG, coryza, infectious bronchitis, and ILT with symptoms: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Well after those to died i havent had any more issues though i am still watching closely for and signs of illness in the rest of the flock. My husband burned both of them before i could get the info and decided to send them off for testing. So unless another one dies thats out. Also i am curious the first time i had this issue i had a goat in the pen with them. This time same thing. Could there be any link to the goat, the goats feed, etc. that would cause those symptoms? I removed him form the pen when i found the first sick one to insure he did not ingest and of the medicated feed or water i placed out for the other birds. I no longer have the first goat who came from a farm with chickens. And the farm the new goat came from did not have chickens so i dont think it was carried by the goats from other birds. But since i removed him, his feed, and by doing so his feces, there have been no more sick birds? I know lots of people keep chickens and goats together but most of them are free range which mine are not.(DOGS) So is it the gaot or is that just coincidence. Also I purchased TYLAN 50. But what would the injectable dose be for the chickens, should any become ill and what is the egg withdrawl time?
Thanks in advance for the input and advice.

Back
Top Bottom