Infectious Coryza Questions

Aslea

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 31, 2014
Leesburg GA
So I bought a bird sick and quarantined him and put him with my birds when I thought he was better. Well, he relapsed. This was last Saturday. I've been viciously treating him with Colloidal Silver twice a day every day since last Wednesday. Cleaning his nose out, shooting water up his nostrils to wash the excess snot out, monitoring his swelling around his face daily. He was kept away from the others after that with a heat lamp.

He Had

-Wattle and throat swelling (no swollen eyes)
-Smelly yellow discharge from nose that clogged daily
-Frequent sneezing

He was in contact with all of my other chickens. I just knew I had Infectious Coryza. BUT NONE of my other chickens have ANY symptoms. Two were sick BEFORE I got him, with respiratory infections, and they are still sneezing. After a bath daily I'd go feed, water, collect eggs from and look over ALL of my other chickens before going and taking care of him. No symptoms. He even drew blood on all three of my other roosters. None are sick.

Was I dealing with Infectious Coryza or what else could it have been? He is nearly 100% and I want to know if I can put him back with the flock I bought him for soon. It's been almost 10 days since he had first contact with the flock.

There is no way to tell what it is without lab work.
Here are your state labs
Athens Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory
501 DW Brooks Drive
University of Georgia
Athens, Georgia 30602
Phone: 706-542-5568 Fax 706-542-5977
AI, BSE, CSF, CWD*, ND, FMD, PRV, IAV-S*

Georgia Poultry Laboratory Network
4457 Oakwood Road
Oakwood, Georgia 30566
Phone: 770-535-5996
AI, ND

University of Georgia Tifton Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory
43 Brighton Road
Tifton, Georgia 31793-3000
Phone: 229-386-3340 Fax 229-386-3399

If it is IC, it is very contagious. Incubation is 1-3 days and spreads rapidly. Perhaps your new bird got it from your flock.

By the way, quarantine is 40 days.

I've learned my lesson on quarantine. Can't be from my flock because I've had all theses birds either from birth or years before my first rooster. Those two are the first to have gotten sick in my flock ever and they were both born here.

So you bought him when he was sick? If not, with such a short incubation period it may have been from your birds. It is spread by contact, dust, water or feed.Dust could have blown your way from area farms.
IC is a common bacterial disease, especially in winter in the SE US.

IC treatment can be either erythromycin, streptomycin or sulfadimethoxine. Relapse can recur after treatment is discontinued.
Culling is preferable since survivors, including all the birds in your flock will be carriers.

Just curious, how much did you pay to bring this problem to your property?
Are you running a rescue organization?

Last edited:
$10. No other birds showed any symptoms. I'm not looking for treatment or criticism I'm looking for more information from those who've dealt with it

It's October. He has had zero symptoms since and none of my other birds have either. I've introduced many new birds to my flock since and zero have gotten sick, all clean sources. Maybe just a rough Respiratory Infection?

Well I'm happy for you. it was likely something he fought off himself without medication.
I hope you quarantine all new birds coming onto the property so you don't have to go through this again.

He definitely didn't fight it off himself. He had to have lots of Colloidal Silver, and got pretty bad a few times there, but did make it.

Back
Top Bottom