Infestation - mice / pack rats

Does the can spin freely?
We have to figure out how to keep the can in the center of the wire.
One idea i have is if your wire is thin enough you could press a couple split-shot (those led weights you use on your fishing line) on each end of the can to keep it from walking out of center.
i got 2 in my bucket i keep in the garage.
View attachment 2039215
I'm cheating...I bought the Drop in the bucket mice catcher from the hardware store, although I'm gonna try to make me one too..right now I'm having a hard time finding a bucket. I saw on youtube where they used pvc but any suggestions on what kind of can to use? You would have to be able to drill a hole in both ends so one end must have a lid, I"m guessing.

Here in the UK, this would be a job for a working terrier. You can hire terriermen with a pack of a few dogs who will come in and sort out your mice or rat problem very fast. I'm not sure if they are widely available in the states, and admittedly lots of dogs going after mice and rats is very gruesome, but it has no poison and is very effective at clearing out an infestation (see examples on YouTube). If there are any in your area, I'd hire them immediately. Your problem would be sorted out in an hour or two.

One of my terriers (just a pet) likes to plant himself outside by the coop and he catches things all day long for fun. He and the cat have a little routine together. Its just instinctual.
There's a YouTube channel called mousetrap Monday (linked below) which shows how the spinning bucket mousetrap is intended to work. He also has lots of other reviews of traps on there that might be of interest. Good luck!https://www.youtube.com/user/historichunter

Here in the UK, this would be a job for a working terrier. You can hire terriermen with a pack of a few dogs who will come in and sort out your mice or rat problem very fast. I'm not sure if they are widely available in the states, and admittedly lots of dogs going after mice and rats is very gruesome, but it has no poison and is very effective at clearing out an infestation (see examples on YouTube). If there are any in your area, I'd hire them immediately. Your problem would be sorted out in an hour or two.

One of my terriers (just a pet) likes to plant himself outside by the coop and he catches things all day long for fun. He and the cat have a little routine together. Its just instinctual.
There's a YouTube channel called mousetrap Monday (linked below) which shows how the spinning bucket mousetrap is intended to work. He also has lots of other reviews of traps on there that might be of interest. Good luck!https://www.youtube.com/user/historichunter
I didn't think Terriermen still existed. They used to use them in Kent to keep the rats attracted to the hops manageable. Now I believe they shoot the rats.:confused:
Good to read such an old tradition hasn't died out.

I didn't think Terriermen still existed. They used to use them in Kent to keep the rats attracted to the hops manageable. Now I believe they shoot the rats.:confused:
Good to read such an old tradition hasn't died out.
I believe it was illegal for a time. But it is roaring back in popularity as a "green solution". Recent example

That's interesting! Foxes do that naturally, so dogs would naturally be good at it.
I have a terrier inside the house...she goes nuts when she hears a mouse but the mice are hard to catch because they stay in the cabinets. She refuses to give up though, pacing around the kitchen waiting.
Those rats are huge...I would die if I saw one of those in my house. :eek:

There is a guy who raises and trains mink..
Joseph Carter the mink man

There are several videos on utube showing him, his mink and his dog at work.
It is fascinating.
Not sure where he is located, but very good to watch these. One video he is hired by a chicken owner as the rats have invaded the coop.
Ever since i have seen videos, and folks here have trouble with ermine, i always recommend to fortify their coop and co-exist with their weasel or mink as these skilled preditors will work with you to keep rodent populations in check on your property.[/URL]

Last edited:
There is a guy who raises and trains mink..
https://modernfarmer.com/2014/05/farm-confessional-minks-escape-farms-train-hunt/
There are several videos on utube showing him, his mink and his dog at work.
It is fasinating.
Not sure where he is located, but very good to watch these. One video he is hired by a chicken owner as the rats have invaded the coop.
Ever since i have seen videos, and folks here have trouble with ermine, i always recommend to fortify their coop and co-exist with their weasel or mink as these skilled preditors will work with you to keep rodent populations in check on your property.
Same with foxes and coyotes...they provide balance to the ecosystem. I read that coyotes and bobcats keep down raccoon populations.

Edited to add: And where I live, even if they don't have chickens, they just shoot the coyote out of fear of it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom