Inflamed eye

ChickenCrazy25

In the Brooder
7 Years
Aug 27, 2012
New Hampshire
I've got a bird who has one eye where the tissue on the bottom of it is inflamed. I just got a hold of her and looked close. To me, it doesn't look like a worm. It is pink, and looks like the tissue just inside the lid is inflamed. She doesn't scratch at it, and doesn't seem to be bothered by it. Any deals on what it is and how to treat it!

I have a bird that has had this her entire life, and it is not infectious or diseased. She can't see out of the eye, but is otherwise unaffected. I tried everything. Antibiotic ointment, flushing it daily, etc. If it had of plagued other chickens, I would have thought eyeworm, but it's just her - and she hasn't gotten any worse. She has been with me for over a year.
_MG_6158.jpg
She's molting really badly in this picture, but you get the idea.

I have a bird that has had this her entire life, and it is not infectious or diseased. She can't see out of the eye, but is otherwise unaffected. I tried everything. Antibiotic ointment, flushing it daily, etc. If it had of plagued other chickens, I would have thought eyeworm, but it's just her - and she hasn't gotten any worse. She has been with me for over a year.

_MG_6158.jpg

She's molting really badly in this picture, but you get the idea.

That rooster is gorgeous. He has a look like "if you come near me, you will die" Is he a LF Cochin?

I've got a bird who has one eye where the tissue on the bottom of it is inflamed. I just got a hold of her and looked close. To me, it doesn't look like a worm. It is pink, and looks like the tissue just inside the lid is inflamed. She doesn't scratch at it, and doesn't seem to be bothered by it. Any deals on what it is and how to treat it!

Sorry about the thread hi-jack. Aoxa helped me this morning with one of my pullets having an eye issue. They have good advise.
big_smile.png

No worries! Chicken ADD is OK with me :p I like the response though. I feel like every chicken ailment is so doom and gloom. Makes me feel hopeless. Maybe this will just be "one of those things". Here's to hoping. I researched like mad this afternoon but nothing matched her symptom. And that bulge of tissue is the only symptom. The rooster pictured is indeed lovely.... I have an affection for cocks :lol: the hen is a beauty too. What kind is she?

No worries! Chicken ADD is OK with me :p I like the response though. I feel like every chicken ailment is so doom and gloom. Makes me feel hopeless. Maybe this will just be "one of those things". Here's to hoping. I researched like mad this afternoon but nothing matched her symptom. And that bulge of tissue is the only symptom. The rooster pictured is indeed lovely.... I have an affection for cocks :lol: the hen is a beauty too. What kind is she?
She's also a cochin, though is mixed between partridge and buff :) Does her eye look just like my hen's eye? If so, don't worry. I'm sure it's fine. I've had my fair share of eye issues, and Honey was one I shouldn't have spent so much time worrying about. I asked the vet when he came around to vaccinate, and he said not to worry. So I don't. :) None of her chicks have it either.
IMG_0717-1.jpg
Honey even won picture of the week on BYC's front page last spring :D Gimp eye and all lol.

Don't feel like you're bein' paranoid, 'cause this is reason for concern ... could be nothin' at all, but the eyes are an excellent entry point for viral and bacterial infections. I'd keep a good eye on her eye ~'-)

And, while you're at it? Check the rest of the flock for any symptoms of any kind.

I give Apple Cider Vinegar to my chickens on a very regular basis, as it can absolutely do no harm to your chickens, but often heads off diseases before they have the opportunity get started ... the rate is 4 teaspoons for every gallon of water (but NOT in galvanized metal containers), with the target pH being around 5~6 (slightly acidic). Empty and clean your waterer(s) and feeder(s) while you're at it, just as an additional precaution.

The tannin in the ACV helps to 'cut through' the mucus and coatings in the mouth, throat and intestines, helping them to better expel it, which improves uptake of vitamins/nutrients, which further boosts their immune systems, and also allows them to better absorb any medication(s) that you may be giving 'em in the near future. Do this for the next three days, and begin reducing the concentration each time you empty and refill their water (which should be at least daily, and more often if it tends to get dirty). And, after a few days w/o it, I begin the process all over again ~'-)

Don't feel like you're bein' paranoid, 'cause this is reason for concern ... could be nothin' at all, but the eyes are an excellent entry point for viral and bacterial infections. I'd keep a good eye on her eye ~'-)

And, while you're at it? Check the rest of the flock for any symptoms of any kind.

I give Apple Cider Vinegar to my chickens on a very regular basis, as it can absolutely do no harm to your chickens, but often heads off diseases before they have the opportunity get started ... the rate is 4 teaspoons for every gallon of water (but NOT in galvanized metal containers), with the target pH being around 5~6 (slightly acidic). Empty and clean your waterer(s) and feeder(s) while you're at it, just as an additional precaution.

The tannin in the ACV helps to 'cut through' the mucus and coatings in the mouth, throat and intestines, helping them to better expel it, which improves uptake of vitamins/nutrients, which further boosts their immune systems, and also allows them to better absorb any medication(s) that you may be giving 'em in the near future. Do this for the next three days, and begin reducing the concentration each time you empty and refill their water (which should be at least daily, and more often if it tends to get dirty). And, after a few days w/o it, I begin the process all over again ~'-)
Add ACV every time for as long as you keep chickens, not just 3 days. I always have ACV (unpasturized, unfiltered, and with mother) in their water AND food. I ferment their food for optimal health.

Also increasing the PH in their system also is said to increase chances of hatching more female chicks. I'm going to be testing this out ;)

Back
Top Bottom