Inflamed eye

Lol we are just getting into the first molt. The worst one so far is my silkie roo. Although, he was already well into his molt when I got him in September I.e. no tail feathers! He looks like such a ragamuffin! At least now I can see the beginnings of new feathers working their way out (as opposed to his bare bottom) I've had to blue Kote his highnie a few times because the girls enjoy picking at his featherless bum! I'm noticing some of the girls thinning out.

Thank you aoxa. That sounds better than a disease, or "she's gonna die!" could I flush it out with an Epsom salt solution? And what about applying neosporin to the area? I'll certainly start adding ACV to the water. I can tell you, her vision doesn't seem to be impaired. That bird avoids me like the plague. I needed to catch her with a net to get this picture, she even avoids the camera if I'm not holding her down!

Better she should be difficult to catch, than an easy target for others ...

That sure looks like conjunctivitis, most probably due to bacterial infection, but possibly due to a virus.

An article to see: How to Treat Chickens With an Eye Infection

The ACV will certainly help w/ many forms of respiratory infections, which may be the root cause, and the OTC Neosporin triple antibiotic may help if it is a bacteria that isn't resistance to Neomycin sulfate, polymyxin B sulfate, and bacitracin zinc.

A number of bacterial infections can lead to damage of the eye. Salmonella bacteria, particularly Salmonella typhimurium and Salmonella arizona , are known to cause severe purulent conjunctivitis and ophthalmitis (inflammation of the eyeball and conjunctiva with pus) and blindness. Often young birds acquire the infections from the hen or through navel or yolk sac infections.

A number of respiratory diseases can cause conjunctivitis, including Newcastle disease, laryngotracheitis, infectious bronchitis, chlamydia, and mycoplasma. These infections do not damage the eye itself, but cause the bird discomfort, leading to rubbing and scratching of the eyelids. Permanent eye injury with these conditions is rare. However, sinusitis can develop, causing swelling of the sinus under the eyelid and adding to bird discomfort.

She's not a young bird anymore...she's of laying age (but as far as I know has never laid). Which makes me wonder if the implementation of deep littering for the winter is what led to this??? It's been like that for a few days, ad doesn't seem to be bothering her. I haven't once seen her scratch it or try to rub it on her wing. She behaves like normal. I suppose to start is flush, neosporin, and add ACV to the water? See how she does? I just always get so nervous that a bird is gonna kick it before I can help her.

She's not a young bird anymore...she's of laying age (but as far as I know has never laid). Which makes me wonder if the implementation of deep littering for the winter is what led to this??? It's been like that for a few days, ad doesn't seem to be bothering her. I haven't once seen her scratch it or try to rub it on her wing. She behaves like normal. I suppose to start is flush, neosporin, and add ACV to the water? See how she does? I just always get so nervous that a bird is gonna kick it before I can help her.
Do those three things. If it gets worse, we'll discuss it further at that time. Deep litter is not going to do that to her eye, if anything - deep litter improves immune function.

She's not going to kick it with this being the only symptom right now. Take a deep breath and get that ACV in her!

Sounds like a good plan to me ... an excellent flush is a large bottle of the cheapest saline solution for contact lenses you can find on the shelf ... I also buy the plain ol' Apple Cider Vinegar, as it's the reduction of mucus and the acidity I'm lookin' for ... and the neosporin is relatively harmless, serving as a lubricant for comfort, if nothing else.

Catchin' her during the night would be a lot easier, by the way ~'-)

Back
Top Bottom