Inflamed Skin & Eyes on Gosling

ThisBirdHasFlown

In the Brooder
May 24, 2022
UK
Hi everyone,
I'll cut straight to the chase and will provide the longer backstory at the end of this post for context.
Over the last three days I have been noticing that the skin around the eyes of my 2-week-old gosling has become red and slightly inflamed. The third eyelids (Nictitating membrane) are constantly showing a little bit in the corner of the eye and the eyes just don't seem right. It started off on just one side but now seems to affect both. It doesn't show as clearly when she's dry, but when I give her a bath it's REALLY obvious and you can tell that the whole skin on her face and neck seems inflamed:

IMG_9267.JPG
IMG_9245.JPG

I read that the reddish skin might be normal while her juvenile feathers are growing in and might be nothing to worry about but since it goes together with the red and seemingly inflamed eyes I am quite concerned.

Here is another close up of her eye:

IMG_9208.JPG

Now some backstory and possible connections:

Our little cutie is an orphaned Canada Goose and we found her when she was a day or two old. Her face was covered in ticks when we took her in (we removed 12 in total!) but she has been doing amazingly putting on weight every day and always in a happy mood.

At day 9 she gave us quite the health scare and we had to go to the vet because she must have eaten something toxic. We are still not sure what it was, perhaps some piece of metal, but all of the sudden she started running to us in the yard, panicking, screeching, drinking lots of water and then went very lethargic quite quickly. We immediately rushed her to the vet who confirmed that her temperature, air ways and heart rate all seemed normal and all they could do was give her a pain medication jab. The following night was rough, she was clearly not right, seemingly having tummy cramps and very strange poop.

We were very worried that she might have "hardware disease" and internal heavy metal poisoning and made sure she stayed hydrated. Miraculously she was fine the next morning and 24h later you could never tell that anything was wrong with her. No more signs of any of that in the following week. I don't know if any of this is related to our current problem but just in case it might be I wanted to mention it.

Fast forward to three days ago when we noticed the eye discolouration and she also has been having blocked sinuses way more often since then. We encourage her to clear her bill with daily warm baths and deep water dishes but it seems like there's been something stuck there for a couple of days now. Every once in a while you can hear it rattle when she breathes and it does seem to bother her, although most of the time she acts completely normal with lots of energy etc.

She will be going to a new place with a pond in a couple of days where she will have another canada gosling by her side who also got abandoned but I would feel so much better about giving her away if I knew that she was in good health. Am I being paranoid about the skin and eyes and is this nothing to worry about?

Also, I should mention, keeping a Canada Goose in the UK is NOT illegal unlike in the US. In fact, it would be illegal to release it back into the wild at this point
:)

Any and all suggestions and help would be appreciated!!

Last edited:
It sounds like she has a respiratory/sinus infection.

My guess is that she swallowed something toxic, plant, or zinc paint or metal chips, something just small enough to pass out of her system quickly. But as a result it hindered her immune system, “probably the excess of zinc” and she caught something as a result OR she picked up something at the vet or just as a random coincidence.

Inflamed skin could be a result of staph, cellulitis, or a fungal infection and they’ll also cause the respiratory issues. There are other bacterias, and viruses that could be the cause so without proper testing it can be hard to say what’s going on.

I wish I could put you at ease and say it’s nothing to be worried about but her goopy eyes, inflamed skin, and wheezing definitly show she has something going on.

Does she act lethargic? Is she eating less? Have you noticed any other issues?
Thanks for your reply, I greatly appreciate it! I was worried it might be something like that but as a first-time goose carer I didn’t have anything to compare it to and never know if I’m just being overly concerned.

The gosling and I just woke up and she’s feeling as energetic as ever. Running through the yard, pruning and munching away on some grass with a big appetite. She’s breathing fine now (thank god) so if there was something stuck it seems to have loosened up over night. Still the occasional sneeze though. Her eyes still look the same, slightly red and inflamed.

What would you recommend as a next step? I have been feeding her tiny pieces of garlic and adding some drops of apple cider vinegar to her water to boost her immune system (I read that here) and of course I’m keeping a close eye on her.

Does she need another trip to the vet yet or should I just watch her for a few more days and she how it develops?

For her eyes can you get an over the counter eye ointment like Terramycin? Are you keeping her under heat?
Thank you, I will look into Terramycin and will bring it up with the vet who we are going to see in about 2 hours' time.

When inside, we have a heatmat for the gosling and she often sleeps on it or right next to it. Whenever the weather has been nice we have spent a lot of time in the yard, sometimes a few hours at a time with cuddle breaks in between to warm her up.

Maybe we overdid it and she just got too cold and "caught a cold"? Is that how that works with goslings?

Back
Top Bottom