Info on contents of ingredients in feed

Aug 17, 2020
Quebec, Canada
Hi, can you share with me where you go to figure out what is contained in the components of feed?

Things like: how much protein is in corn, barley, wheat, or others.

How much of the other micronutrients (if any) are in sunflower seeds? Are the shells good too?

That kind of info, I want a site I can trust and sometimes the internet isn't a trustworthy place ;)

Thanks!

I know my local feed store, which has their own elevators and mixes their own feed, has that kind of info.

But, basically, you could just Google a question like "how much protein is in barley seeds" and you get immediate results that I suspect are pretty accurate.

Also, if you have an Amazon Echo Dot or other Alexa capable device, just ask Alexa the same question and you will get an even more detailed answer - I just asked Alexa and got info on not only protein, but also fat, carbs, and fiber. The source for Alexa was Free Nutrition Facts.com.

Hope that helps.

Feedipedia.org. Not because they are the best/most definitive, but because they have one of the larger databases so you aren't cherry picking sources, and because its much easier to use than the much larger FDA database (which is mostly human-grade, not animal-grade feeds). Itsd what I used to build my spreadsheet, and it has some pretty powerful data which I don't use, if you want to get into the weeds as to variation in crops, etc.

I know my local feed store, which has their own elevators and mixes their own feed, has that kind of info.

But, basically, you could just Google a question like "how much protein is in barley seeds" and you get immediate results that I suspect are pretty accurate.

Also, if you have an Amazon Echo Dot or other Alexa capable device, just ask Alexa the same question and you will get an even more detailed answer - I just asked Alexa and got info on not only protein, but also fat, carbs, and fiber. The source for Alexa was Free Nutrition Facts.com.

Hope that helps.
T
My feed store doesn't provide that, yours is better ;)

Thank you for the suggestion, I suspect those numbers are for human grade foods though, the grains are not the same as those in the 'feed' food chain.

Feedipedia.org. Not because they are the best/most definitive, but because they have one of the larger databases so you aren't cherry picking sources, and because its much easier to use than the much larger FDA database (which is mostly human-grade, not animal-grade feeds). Itsd what I used to build my spreadsheet, and it has some pretty powerful data which I don't use, if you want to get into the weeds as to variation in crops, etc.
Thank you! I don't know how many years of googling it would have taken to find that resource. ;)

Thank you! I don't know how many years of googling it would have taken to find that resource. ;)
That's what BYC is for. If you have questions, and everyone does, don't hesitate to start a new thread and if you feel the need, @ me. I don't consider myself an expert, but I am reasonably well read on the subject of feeding chickens (and to lesser extent, ducks). I keep a handul of resources saved for the more common questions, and can usually pretty quickly find things I've once read, for some of the more obscure questions.

I don't have as much time as I used to, so don't hang out on the forums as often as I used to (new job, OT, etc...) but I do try and check in once or twice daily to see if I've been "paged".

Happy to help.

Back
Top Bottom