Info on crooked toes and splay legs?

lilwanderer

Crowing
Apr 7, 2022
Live Oak, Florida
Just recently hatched from my bantam flock for the first time. Great fertility, but the majority of the chicks pipped the wrong end and had mild to severe crooked toes. Some were splay legged. Recently, i keep finding those bantams dead in the brooder, they are mixed with a few other chicks from my other flocks, who are fine. Yesterday 2 were found dead in one day, and today another one looks like it'll be dead soon. It's only my bantam babies, really disappointing. Is this a vitamin deficiency, genetic problem, or what?

Just recently hatched from my bantam flock for the first time. Great fertility, but the majority of the chicks pipped the wrong end and had mild to severe crooked toes. Some were splay legged. Recently, i keep finding those bantams dead in the brooder, they are mixed with a few other chicks from my other flocks, who are fine. Yesterday 2 were found dead in one day, and today another one looks like it'll be dead soon. It's only my bantam babies, really disappointing. Is this a vitamin deficiency, genetic problem, or what?
I'd say it's possible to have more than one issue at play.

Hatch analysis starts around page 52 with incubation stuff a couple pages prior and nutritional stuff on page 55 ish..

https://www.hubbardbreeders.com/media/incubation_guideen__053407700_1525_26062017.pdf

:fl

Crooked toes and improper positioning in the egg (to pip at the wrong end) are often caused by incorrect temperature or humidity during incubation. How/where did you hatch the bantam eggs? What was the temperature and humidity? Were they in the same incubator with the standard eggs? Bantam eggs hatch earlier and need to be locked down earlier, so if they are incubated together with standard eggs, it can get tricky.

Back
Top Bottom