Info on incubating shipped eggs please!

Ladyrose012407

In the Brooder
Sep 12, 2018
I've only used my incubator once for 5 of my yard eggs. I followed the instructions, and 4 out of 5 hatched. I ordered silkie eggs, and the breeder instructed me not to turn the eggs for the first 7 days in the incubator. Is that bc they are silkie eggs? Or should I just treat them like normal eggs?

Good news is that the smaller the egg the better the shipped hatch chances. I would follow the instructions of the man who sent the eggs, he may be worried about a moving air cell, but if you can tell they are still in tact, then after 3 days would be fine. Since you have not candled maybe before, and I don't know if you are skilled, just wait the 7. it is important to turn between 7-11 mostly.

I would not follow that advice. It is very important to turn eggs when they are incubating. What is recommended is to sit eggs in carton fat end up on your table for at least 24 hours to help settle them from shipping. 48 hours is better. Then put the settled eggs into the incubator with auto turner or manually turn them for two weeks to 18 days.

Im with gimmie birdies, its probably due to the airsacks not being intact. If you can tell they are not dislodged then they can be turned. If they are loose in the egg then thats why he said leave them be the first 7 days. If you cant determine by candling them then just follow his instructions and see what happens.

I personally dont buy any shipped eggs waste of money everytime Ive tried. But my eggs always hatch no problem from my chickens.

Back
Top Bottom