Info on Magpie Ducks?

I have magpies that came from Holderread this past April. They are beautiful--for anyone wondering where to order from, and looking for very nicely marked birds, I strongly encourage you to consider Holderread. I'm sorry I don't have pictures to share.
sad.png

Anyway--mine should start laying in the next couple of months--I estimate around September. They are very very pretty, and very similar to my Runners in temperament. My understanding is that the markings are extremely difficult to perfect, which I can definitely see in a lot of hatchery mags, but mine have very nice markings--which I suppose is not surprising, coming from Holderread.

On the down side, I had more health problems with the magpies than I've ever had with Runners when they were ducklings, but it's entirely possible that I simply got a bad batch or that I've just been lucky with Runners. Now that they are mostly grown, they seem as hardy as the Runners.

I do have an extra drake, plus a white magpie (sometimes called Stanbridge White or unmarked magpie--very very gorgeous) drake that I'm re-homing. I'll be keeping a blue drake and four black hens. I wish I could speak to their production qualities but obviously I don't know yet. They are a nice sized bird--not too large and not too small. They could be harvested for meat as well as the eggs. And of course they are highly ornamental.

I'm curious whether I will have the same problems with the drake as I'm hearing about in this thread...

I also would love to see a bigger fan club for this gorgeous breed.
smile.png

I have a beautiful unmarked Magpie. She is our friendliest duck, and the biggest character. I suspect that she's the whole family's favorite. She's louder than my Khakis, but only when she thinks I should have peas for her or if we are a bit slack letting them out in the morning.

Holderreads was kind enough to sell her to us when we had a single duck hatch.

Magpie Duck

Scientific name: Anas platyrhynchos domesticus
Country / Place of origin: United Kingdom
History: The Magpie Duck is believed to have been developed in the early 1900's in Wales. The Magpie Duck was imported to the United States from Great Britain in 1963, but was not widely kept. It was admitted to the American Standard of Perfection in 1977, but it did not become popular in the US until 1984. It is still one of the rarer varieties of domesticated duck.
Current Uses: The Magpie Duck is a dual purpose bird, being used for both its meat and eggs.
Appearance: Magpie Ducks are easy to identify with their unique color pattern. They are large white ducks with patches of color on the top of the head and on their back from shoulder to tail. The colored patches can only be blue or black by American Poultry Association (APA) standards. Beak and legs are orange.
Average weight: N/A
Lifespan: 9 - 12 years
Grooming: N/A
Diet: If your duck has access to a natural pond they may find much of their diet on the pond. You can help provide a natural diet my growing duck weed, krill and other pond organisms. They will also enjoy eating your slugs and snails for you. They will also need an un-medicated waterfowl maintenance diet and fresh greens. It is important to know that bread is not a healthy food for any duck. In fact, ducks that eat large amounts of bread (for example in city parks) suffer from serious health problems including bone deformities.
Housing: Many owners of large properties with natural ponds enjoy keeping free range ducks. However there are some precautions that must be taken to have healthy ducks that thrive on a natural pond and not get taken by predators. The pond needs to be large, at least a quarter acre in size for 25 ducks. To prevent botulism outbreaks it should be filtered naturally by plants or artificially. If at all possible the pond should be drained regularly as well. Keeping the edge of the pond dry with gravel or other means will also help to prevent a botulism outbreak. The ducks will need a night shelter that protects them from predators. During the day free range ducks are still at risk of becoming predator food. Herd protector dogs or geese can help keep your flock safe.
Health issues: There are several health conditions common to ducks that owners need to be aware of. Most can be prevented with good care. From their eating habits they can easily get internal parasites and may need regular deworming. Botulism is another disease that duck owners should be aware of. Botulism outbreaks occur around muddy and wet areas with decaying matter when the days and nights are hot. Botulism toxicity causes paralysis, starting in the legs and moving up the body to the head, and can lead to dead. The only treatment is to support the duck with lots of regular fluids via tubing to flush their system of the toxin. Botulism can be prevented by keeping their living areas free of mud and rotting debris that attracts flies. With a proper living environment and good vet care ducks can often live long healthy lives.
Behavior / Temperament / Activity level: Magpies are active and self sufficient birds.

I found this helpful info hope you enjoy
lol.png

I was given 8 chicks about a month ago. Loved their markings because they were so unique. The family didn't know what breed they were. But now that they've gotten their feathers in, I've started looking at duck breed pics and the Magpie is exactly what they look and act like. These are the first ducks I've ever
had anything to do with and I love the friendly little guys. Was pleased also that they are good layers because i'd decided I'd rather have ducks laying my eggs instead of chickens if they had this much personality and character! I'm sure my batch isn't full blood, but they're close enough to be identical in looks and personality to what ive read of the Magpies . Thanks for the info.

Mine don't. They flap hard while running from the open coop gate to the pond. But none catch any air.

I ordered two magpie ducklings and they should be here in a week! I am super excited everyone seems to have good things to say about them. I will post some pics when they come:)

Where did you order them from? Was wondering as now Holderread's has dispersed their Magpie flock.
Looking for a good breeder to purchase some ducklings/eggs from in a couple of months. I have a single black hen left after loosing her mate this past fall. I'd like to build up a flock here in Vermont for breeding and egg production. I have Khaki Campbells and was wanting to hatch out Magpies. I run them in a large fenced in pasture with water with my sheep for parasite control and I just love ducks in general.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom