Info on my new, New Jersey Giant hen?

brecosky

In the Brooder
May 10, 2015
Texas
So I got a hen the other day from a friend of a friend and was told she would be a New Jersey giant pullet. I got her with a couple other hens "barred rock" but she was kept in a coop on the other side of the property with some other jersey giant hens and a rooster I was told she was a purebred New Jersey Giant who was just under a year and that every once in awhile he's seen solid blacks. I was just getting her as a pet to live in a small flock I keep of some assorted egg laying hens I figured she would lay a couple eggs and I Rlly like these chickens I've seen them online in the past and kinda wanted one. but when seeing her in person she seemed a little older than I expected. is their anyway to tell my hens age?? She is small for a New Jersey giant and she is solid black even her face and comb are solid I have a feeling she might not be pure New Jersey giant as I was told, and that she might also be a little older then under a year, Is it possible she could be an older hen who they thought was younger than she is because of her size and as far as the skin coloration could she be mixed with some other breed like a silky that would explain that situation wouldn't it or could she just be a young hen with some sort of gene mutation??

Last edited:

Here are a couple more pics if anyone can tell me a rough idea on age or breed like I said she's supposed to be about a year old New Jersey Giant.

That is not a pure Jersey Giant. More like a Black Jersey Giant cross with a Black Sumatra. One of the parents had to possess the dominant black skin gene.

Thanks I had someone else say maybe a cemani hen, she looks just like those but I doubt it due to their rarity/price. So idk if you have any knowledge on this but how would I go about figuring an age on this hen??

Thanks I had someone else say maybe a cemani hen, she looks just like those but I doubt it due to their rarity/price. So idk if you have any knowledge on this but how would I go about figuring an age on this hen??
True about the Ayan Cemani thing. The hen looks full-grown to me, at least four or five months. Doe she lay yet?

True about the Ayan Cemani thing. The hen looks full-grown to me, at least four or five months. Doe she lay yet? 

I've had her about a week and seen 1 egg but she's in with the other hen I picked up with her so I'm not sure is their any way to tell buy looking at them or feathering?? I rlly just need a estimate if you can help out. Like I rlly don't know who the one egg belonged to

Last edited:
I've had her about a week and seen 1 but she's in with the other hen I picked up with her so I'm not sure is their any way to tell buy looking at them or feathering?? I rlly just need a estimate.
It's hard to tell the exact age. The hen is a full-grown pullet. She should start laying at around 6 months. What other breed of hen do you have, and what color was the egg?

It's hard to tell the exact age. The hen is a full-grown pullet. She should start laying at around 6 months. What other breed of hen do you have, and what color was the egg?

The other chicken is a barred rock hen the egg was a heavily speckled brown egg but it seemed very small compared to both of the hens in the coop.

Last edited:
The other chicken is a barred rock hen the egg was a heavily speckled brown egg but it seemed very small compared to both of the hens in the coop.
It could be from your cross-bred. Barred Rocks don't usually have speckled eggs. The small size could be because it her first egg.

It could be from your cross-bred. Barred Rocks don't usually have speckled eggs. The small size could be because it her first egg. 

I considered that when I noticed the size but I wasn't sure. Oh and I forgot their is also a Road island red who is with them. I should probably isolate her to find out.

Back
Top Bottom