Informal poll: Best duck breed for beginner?

savingdogs

Crowing
13 Years
Aug 2, 2009
Southwestern Washington State
Okay, I gotta get ducks now.

I just want a pair....really....I want a few eggs and would want a breeding pair. It would be nice if I could somehow sell the extra ducklings or eat them although eating duck is not my prime reason for wanting them.

Mainly we like to laugh and think ducks are funny and want to have another livestock animal that isn't a huge financial drain. I think I have a baker who would buy duck eggs and we already have chickens and are buying Layena anyways.

So we are looking for eggs, possibly a little meat, but mostly funny personalities that are easy enough for beginners?

Can I hear your opinions on what breed I should be looking at?

Muscovy or Runner! Muscovies are my favorite, but Runners are funnier. Runners are better layers, Muscovies could be eaten. Runners will not usually hatch ducklings, Muscovies will.

Last edited:
Khaki campells
smile.png

I chose runners - I am getting back to ducks after a many-year hiatus (I had Pekins and mallards). From what I have read, most ducks are pretty easy compared to many other (usually) outdoor pets/livestock. The biggest effort I am making is building a predator-resistant pen and shelter for them.

I chose the runners for their reputation for the following:

eat many slugs and bugs
love.gif

lay many eggs
make much fertilizer
clap.gif

huge cuteness factor

They are also fairly small - 3.5 to 4 pounds each. I think I can manage a 4 pound bird.

As for domestics, one is just as good as the other, no big deal in care for any of them.
Like Scott, I would go with the calls, they are smaller, and more colorful than many of the other species of domestic ducks. None have any specialized care though, so just which ever one strikes your fancy!
Snowy calls are very nice!

Back
Top Bottom