information on breed blue rocks

augiedranch

Songster
11 Years
Mar 14, 2008
Texas
i have heard some info on the breed of chicken blue rocks.. what do these look like as a baby?

i bought some chicks from tsc and they guaranteed full blood or sex linked chicks... i know what everyone is
except for this guy...... is he a blue rock?

i have no clue!! he is smaller than the blk australorp and buff that i have.. but about the size of the bantys that i have.. a little smaller than the ameracauanas that hatched with him..
thanks guys

his name is blu
bluecute.jpg

thanks! ur the first person to give me a breed name to look up. oh, the web sites didnt have any blue andalusians on it though... thank you again for ur help:D

he's not a blue rock b/c they have yellow legs I believe....I have 9 out in the brooder & I can double check if you need me to

According to the standard of perfection, it says about Blue Plymouth Rocks:

Disqualifications - shanks other than yellow or dusky yellow.

On the color of a male and female Blue Plymouth Rock:

Shanks and toes: Male -- Yellow. Female Yellow or dusky yellow, yellow preferred.

So it sounds to me that black legs are a disqualification. Ewesheep, are you sure those chicks arent orps? It also describes all different colors of Rocks; every one of them, the description is yellow shanks and yellow toes for all colors. Under disqualifications, it states:

Shanks and Toes: All breeds
1. Foreign color to that described for breed and variety. (Slight reddish tinge of pigment in yellow shanked varieties not to disqualify).

This is why I paid the $14 for the Standard of Perfection from the American Poultry Association. There is no doubt exactly what each description for each breed is. I would recommend the book to anyone serious about breeding their chickies.

Last edited:
Halo, good idea. It seems that alot of people dont have standards, but you can get them for $10-15 for a black and white 1998 version. The main diff is that it doesnt have all of the newer breeds, but it has most of the basics.

i know this might sound bad,, but im not wanting to show my chickens.. or really even sell them. they are companian animals to me.... i was just really wanting to know what my cute little "blu" was so i could tell people when they ask me..

thanks for yalls help!

im a little confused though

lol
big_smile.png

I dont plan on showing either. But the breed standard is important to me if Im breeding or buying chickens, because I want to produce chickens that do conform to the standard. Its like if Im raising poodles, and one poodle mom somehow has a litter full of dalmations puppies. I can call those puppies poodles if I want, but if they dont conform to the breed standard, then im not only deceiving buyers who may not know any better, but Im hurting the breed. Just a little pet peeve of mine, from breeding purebred animals for decades.

Back
Top Bottom