information on egg carton incubation

I know this is an older thread but I was hoping for some thoughts from the experts. This is my first hatch. I have had them in paper egg cartons since about day 2 because I didn't like the way they would roll around on the floor of the incubator. I have been tilting the eggs several times a day, back and forth with a twist. They all look great when candled. Tomorrow is lockdown. I will be moving them to a still air Hovabator 1602N (from a Genesis 1588) for the hatch. I am planning on laying them flat on the top of paper egg cartons (for easier cleanup). Will this be okay or should I leave them in cartons with air cells up. My only concern with these eggs is that for the first 15 days the humidity seems to have been too low and the air cells are very large. I increased the humidity when I discovered the hygrometer was (probably) reading too high. I have staggered hatches so I will keep a better eye on the size of the air cells for the younger eggs. I want them to be able to rock around and move freely to get into position in their tight little spaces and I'm thinking that sitting upright in the cartons might hinder this. Any thoughts?

I like to take mine out of the cartons and continue hand turning at day 14. Personal preference. I don't know if I've gleaned something in the past that says that's an advantage, but, IMO, the chick may be better acclimated to a more natural hatching position. You could put paper towels down for lock down. Or rubber shelf liner. I also mark air cells when they go into lock down, and place the side with the biggest air cell area facing up. That will help you to be assured that the chicks are pipping in the air cell.

Thanks. Kinda what I figured I'd do. I already have the tops of egg cartons in the lockdown bator and the humidity regulated so I don't think I will change that at this point. I will mark the air cells and place accordingly. I don't think they will have any trouble finding air...some of the air cells take up half the egg :(

How big of a hole needs to be cut in the bottles of the cartons? I just discovered I can fit almost two dozen more eggs in my incubator if I use cartons instead of my egg turner to hold and turn them.

I've had good hatches in cardboard cartons without cutting any holes. I'm actually thinking of stacking cartons for the first week of my hatch. Crazy? probably. (I've been called worse) I'm thinking that there will be a few duds to remove when I candle. Either that, or I'll have to rush like crazy to make a second bator!

I have a eco 20 incubator and always hatch in foam cartons. I just cut a small hole in the bottom for a little extra air flow, it probably doesn't need it but i figure it couldn't hurt and I have good luck doing it this way so why change now.I leave them in the cartons for the whole time including lock down . At lock down i candle everybody and make sure they go in air cell up. Since I started this my hatch rate has improved.This could be just luck but I figure if it ain't broke I'm not going to fix it

Just moved my eggs to a cut up paper carton on day 7 after candling... somehow I just feel better about them being broad side up for now - haven't decided about lockdown & hatch yet. After cutting the bottoms out of the carton, though, I am not sure how I am going to get leverage underneith the carton to tilt the whole thing one way and the other for "turning". A small towel folded up? Would that disturb the heat and humidity from surrounding the eggs evenly?

Good morning and also a Happy Valentines Day to all ! I was reading somewhere about incubating eggs in an egg carton. Can anyone tell me about this method and what procedures you are supposed to follow? Is this a good method ? If you are using an incubator with a turner you would still have to flip the carton by hand ,Am I correct in thinking this ? or would you turn each egg individually inside the carton? Just curious about this . and thanks for any information.
This idea intrigued me....I ordered 40 fertile eggs.....so I googled it and yes there were a few people that did this. One thing I did was poked holes on the bottom of each section to help w/ humidity from under the incubator. Also cut away everything except bottom of carton.. 40 eggs are a lot and i don't have a turner. The egg cartons made it easier and FASTER so the top wasn't open for long. I took an 3/4 inch thick stick that I propped the carton on its side. Each time, I switch the stick so its then propping the carton on the opposite side. Like rocking them back and forth. I've candled them 2X, and they are growing inside perfect. Im thinking as i get closer, Ill take them out and just lay them out for easier hatching. So thats where Im at..........so far so good and so much easier esp w/ multiple eggs. One thing I do, is before I shut them back down I mist them all, Ive done this in past to help w/ sticky chick syndrome. (along w/ water under tray)

Back
Top Bottom