Information Overload!!!

Soujrnr

Songster
Feb 18, 2023
Kingsport, Tennessee
Hello, friends. I am just on information overload. One site tells me to use deep bedding and/or deep litter. Another site says use sand. Another site says use pine. Another site says something else. We've only had our girls for almost two weeks, and we want to do what's right. So, could you chickenologists review this and give your thoughts on it, please? Thank you.

Deadly Pine Shavings

We are in northeastern Tennessee. That means it's in the 80s to 90s in summer, with pretty high humidity. Winters aren't particularly cold (I grew up in Minnesota, so "cold" is a relative term). We don't get snow very often, and the temps get down in the 20s and 30s, but warm up more during the daytime.

We are in northeastern Tennessee. That means it's in the 80s to 90s in summer, with pretty high humidity. Winters aren't particularly cold (I grew up in Minnesota, so "cold" is a relative term). We don't get snow very often, and the temps get down in the 20s and 30s, but warm up more during the daytime.
You can do without deep litter, sand might be best if the coop doesn't collect water.

What's "best" relies on multiple factors. Climate as noted, also soil type, whether the run is covered or uncovered, availability of materials, etc.

Sand generally works best in dry environments. Deep litter generally works better in wetter environment. Example, I have an uncovered run, rainy climate, and ample organic material available, so deep litter makes sense for me and others in my area.

The type of material you want to use also depends on the mantinence that you want to do and if you want to use the bedding for anything. I do the deep litter system with a mixture of pine shavings and hemp (since hemp can be pricey using just that). I like deep litter because you only have to clean the coop out once a year and the bedding can then be composted. With sand, you would scoop it out like a cat litter box daily. Your coop would have to be completely water tight for sand, if it gets wet it will be really heavy and smelly. Some people don’t mind the daily scooping but I personally wouldn’t want to have to do that, no beneficial compost for me either.

The type of material you want to use also depends on the mantinence that you want to do and if you want to use the bedding for anything. I do the deep litter system with a mixture of pine shavings and hemp (since hemp can be pricey using just that). I like deep litter because you only have to clean the coop out once a year and the bedding can then be composted. With sand, you would scoop it out like a cat litter box daily. Your coop would have to be completely water tight for sand, if it gets wet it will be really heavy and smelly. Some people don’t mind the daily scooping but I personally wouldn’t want to have to do that, no beneficial compost for me either.
I agree with this (& everything everyone else said). I am not a person who has any interest in scooping poop every day so I use deep bedding & clean the coop out twice a year. & in the runs (both covered & uncovered) I use wood chips from local tree trimming companies. In 6 years I have never had to clean the run, but it's large at about 1200 sf.

I am just on information overload.
This made me chuckle......yes, it's like getting a sip of water from a fire hose.
There's lots of different scenarios because there's lots of different gals and climates.
It might take some time and experience and experimentation to figure what works best for you.
Observe and adjust.

Here's my thoughts and techniques:
What kind of bedding you use may depend on how you manage the manure.
This is about cleaning, but covers my big picture

-I use poop boards under roosts with thin(<1/2") layer of sand/PDZ mix, sifted daily(takes 5-10mins) into bucket going to friends compost.
-Scrape big or wet poops off roost and ramps as needed.
- Large flake pine shavings on coop floor, add some occasionally, totally changed out once or twice a year, old shavings added to run.
- My runs have semi-deep litter(cold composting), never clean anything out, just add smaller dry materials on occasion, add larger wood chippings as needed.
Aged ramial wood chippings are best IMO.
-Nests are bedded with straw, add some occasionally, change out if needed(broken egg).

There is no odor, unless a fresh cecal has been dropped and when I open the bucket to add more poop.
That's how I keep it 'clean', have not found any reason to clean 'deeper' in 9 years.

Our litter is about 6-8 inches thick of pine shavings. The bedding is about 10-12 inches thick as well. We turn it over each morning. My wife will often scoop up the easy to get poop and puts it in the compost pile. I really want to get a pitchfork, though. That way, I can turn it all over and clean the whole thing right before winter. We haven't added any new shavings just yet.

The run is still all grass. We will let the girls eat the grass, and then put down sand or shavings at a later time. Shavings make sense based upon our environment. We get a lot of rain here. I'll be reading a lot more, I'm sure.

Used pine chips in the brooder for the 1rst time ever, what a PIA. If I ever use them again it will be for kindling. Going back to decades of and always works, shredded straw in the brooder and straw in the coop. Granny used it and so will/do I.

Back
Top Bottom