Infrared heating lamp vs white light heating lamp

WindsorChicken

In the Brooder
Jul 16, 2020
greetings!
is it better to use a infrared heating lamp or white light heating lamp?
i noticed that when i changed over to the infrared the chicks started scratching and making a nest so to speak,. they all seem to huddle in the nest now.

greetings!
is it better to use a infrared heating lamp or white light heating lamp?
i noticed that when i changed over to the infrared the chicks started scratching and making a nest so to speak,. they all seem to huddle in the nest now.
I don’t like using heat lamps for a lot of reasons. First of all they put off light, and when you wean them Off of the lamp they freak out in the dark for days, if you use one use a lamp without a light that only puts off heat. It is also a bad fire hazard so I like to use radiant heaters which are overall a lot better in lots of ways. It mimics the mother hen as they can get cozy under it, it’s easier to drop temps, they can escape the heat when their to warm instead of constant heat over them at all times, and it’s not a fire hazard! However much more expensive they are it’s worth every penny. If you just want to go the heat lamp route, say for adult hens and roosters I would use a heat bulb without a light. Same goes for young chicks

Red.

White light is too harsh on their eyes. Red keeps them calm and it’s easier on their eyes.

Of course, heat plates, ceramic bulbs and DIY Mama Heating Pads are all better options to consider. But for light emitting bulbs, red is best.
I second that. Switched from lamp to mama heating pad and I doubt I'll ever go back! Plus, the fire risk is much lower, and if the power goes out the heating pad maintains some heat for 20-30 minutes and the lamp doesn't. For picking and injuries though, a lamp is still useful because the red light makes it harder to see blood. I keep one handy just in case.

I have successfully used the ceramic bulbs made for reptiles for my babies. They put out heat only, no light. You may have to play with the height and angle, draft guard, etc but it’s an option.

I personally switched away from bulbs completely now, as I’m away for much of the day and it’s just safer all around to just use a mama heating pad. Less chance of burns, fires, and they can choose where they’re most comfortable with it. :)

Back
Top Bottom