Ingrown Tail feather

Stephanie8806

Songster
5 Years
Feb 18, 2019
Central Washington State
Hey BYC community! I have a year old hen that has always been a little pecked at where her tail meets her back. Never any blood or anything, so normal pecking order stuff. Today I noticed a skin/flesh colored lump protruding from the area. It’s not red and doesn’t look swollen or inflamed... I snagged her and squeezed it lightly, it’s hard and it feels like there’s a feather shaft in there. It’s between a quarter and a half an inch long. I feel like it may be ingrown and I don’t want her to be in too much discomfort. Should I lance it to help release the shaft? Or Should I let it work itself out?

I have a picture below from the roost this evening. It’s the skin colored spot in the sea of Blu-kote feathers.

Attachments

• 20943F2D-3F06-47A7-AF0C-6A13E3B01A7A.jpeg
    20943F2D-3F06-47A7-AF0C-6A13E3B01A7A.jpeg
    612.7 KB · Views: 89
Hey BYC community! I have a year old hen that has always been a little pecked at where her tail meets her back. Never any blood or anything, so normal pecking order stuff. Today I noticed a skin/flesh colored lump protruding from the area. It’s not red and doesn’t look swollen or inflamed... I snagged her and squeezed it lightly, it’s hard and it feels like there’s a feather shaft in there. It’s between a quarter and a half an inch long. I feel like it may be ingrown and I don’t want her to be in too much discomfort. Should I lance it to help release the shaft? Or Should I let it work itself out?

I have a picture below from the roost this evening. It’s the skin colored spot in the sea of Blu-kote feathers.
That looks like the chicken's preen gland -- it secretes oil that the chicken will rub onto their beak and then onto their feathers during preening.

That looks like the chicken's preen gland -- it secretes oil that the chicken will rub onto their beak and then onto their feathers during preening.
Oh wow interesting!! I didn’t know they had this. After your comment I googled it and that is absolutely why this looks like. It’s just so strange, she’s had a little bare spot back there for the last 6ish months from pecking, and I check her every fee days to make sure there’s no open wounds. I’ve never noticed this before!

Do preen glands change in size or shape cyclically?

Oh wow interesting!! I didn’t know they had this. After your comment I googled it and that is absolutely why this looks like. It’s just so strange, she’s had a little bare spot back there for the last 6ish months from pecking, and I check her every fee days to make sure there’s no open wounds. I’ve never noticed this before!

Do preen glands change in size or shape cyclically?
I don't think that they do, no.
It can be very hard to notice. It's a little thing way in all those feathers.

I don't think that they do, no.
It can be very hard to notice. It's a little thing way in all those feathers.

So interesting! Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

It all makes sense, I just Re-applied the Blu-Kote yesterday and was wondering why it wasn’t coated. If it’s secreting oil, the dye wouldn’t stick

So interesting! Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

It all makes sense, I just Re-applied the Blu-Kote yesterday and was wondering why it wasn’t coated. If it’s secreting oil, the dye wouldn’t stick
You're welcome! Glad that I could help. I hope that your girl gets her pecked feathers back in soon.

You're welcome! Glad that I could help. I hope that your girl gets her pecked feathers back in soon.

Thanks, Me too. I have three in my flock of nine that got a little picked at over winter. They have more than “enough” room in both their coop and run, but with the cold weather and short days, I think the flock had a little roost boredom since they were there for longer. All three seem to be on the road to recovery now that snow is melting, days are longer, and they’ve gotten a substantial chunk of their free range space back.

Back
Top Bottom