Inherited a Guinea....

ladynewtochicks

Songster
Mar 21, 2016
Montana
Ok so I'm pretty new to chicken keeping but atleast I feel informed about them. I inherited a Guinea hen from a friend, the lone survivor of a dog attack on his flock. So he sent her to my coop for safety and to be with other birds. They have been together for probably 2 weeks now and everything has been great so far I just have a couple questions and I'm not sure I'm using the right terms in the search bar, because I can't find what I want....

Ok so my chickens just started laying so I'm on my last bag of grower starter. Free choice oyster shell has been available for a while now. And I'm switching to an 18% all flock once this bag is gone. Will this also be appropriate for the Guinea?

Please done laugh... Does she need a male Guinea to lay? I recorded her voice and the survivor is for sure a girl. I'm sure the attack and the move stressed her and she will need some time... He was told the ducks needed a male to lay but maybe they just wanted him to take a male too I have no idea...

And will she be happy with my chickens? Or would she be better off rehomed with her own kind? It's hard for me to tell if she's acting normal or happy since I hadn't spent much time with his Guineas before...

Thanks

A guinea fowl does not need a male to lay eggs, neither do ducks. I do not know of any type of bird that wont lay without a male. Guineas usually lay early March through October. Giving you about 100 eggs a year. They lay clutches instead of a egg everyday like chickens. I don't think she will be lonely with just chickens but it's impossible to know what she thinks. Supposedly a 16% layers mash is fine for them to eat. But I would think they need a higher protein level because their game birds who's natural diet is mainly bugs. I think their are guinea fowl forums on here you can jon that are probably more helpful. Here's a link to a website with general guinea fowl care http://articles.extension.org/pages/67816/raising-guinea-fowl
Good luck with your birds :)

Last edited:
Ok so I'm pretty new to chicken keeping but atleast I feel informed about them. I inherited a Guinea hen from a friend, the lone survivor of a dog attack on his flock. So he sent her to my coop for safety and to be with other birds. They have been together for probably 2 weeks now and everything has been great so far I just have a couple questions and I'm not sure I'm using the right terms in the search bar, because I can't find what I want....

Ok so my chickens just started laying so I'm on my last bag of grower starter. Free choice oyster shell has been available for a while now. And I'm switching to an 18% all flock once this bag is gone. Will this also be appropriate for the Guinea?

Please done laugh... Does she need a male Guinea to lay? I recorded her voice and the survivor is for sure a girl. I'm sure the attack and the move stressed her and she will need some time... He was told the ducks needed a male to lay but maybe they just wanted him to take a male too I have no idea...

And will she be happy with my chickens? Or would she be better off rehomed with her own kind? It's hard for me to tell if she's acting normal or happy since I hadn't spent much time with his Guineas before...

Thanks

18% protein all flock will be fine for an adult guinea.

Just like chickens there is no need for a male being around for egg laying to happen. She just won't be laying fertile eggs. Of course it is possible for a rooster to breed her and create chicken guinea hybrids.

Guineas are a flock bird and do best with large groups of their own kind. There are always exceptions. If she is calling a lot that is a fair indication that she is seeking her mate.

A guinea fowl does not need a male to lay eggs, neither do ducks. I do not know of any type of bird that wont lay without a male. Guineas usually lay early March through October. Giving you about 100 eggs a year. They lay clutches instead of a egg everyday like chickens. I don't think she will be lonely with just chickens but it's impossible to know what she thinks. Supposedly a 16% layers mash is fine for them to eat. But I would think they need a higher protein level because their game birds who's natural diet is mainly bugs. I think their are guinea fowl forums on here you can jon that are probably more helpful. Here's a link to a website with general guinea fowl care http://articles.extension.org/pages/67816/raising-guinea-fowl
Good luck with your birds :)

Ok I kind of figured as much... He did buy his ducks from the Hutterites so maybe something was lost in translation there and they thought he wanted to hatch or something. Thanks

18% protein all flock will be fine for an adult guinea.

Just like chickens there is no need for a male being around for egg laying to happen.  She just won't be laying fertile eggs.  Of course it is possible for a rooster to breed her and create chicken guinea hybrids.

Guineas are a flock bird and do best with large groups of their own kind.  There are always exceptions.  If she is calling a lot that is a fair indication that she is seeking her mate.

I have no roosters left only hens, and she was calling for the first couple days and now she just talks softly no louder or more often than my chickens I would say

Also how large of a nest box does she require? My nest boxes are all milk crates, then I added a larger one on the floor with her in mind. It's an old litter box, maybe 12x18 or so...

Also how large of a nest box does she require? My nest boxes are all milk crates, then I added a larger one on the floor with her in mind. It's an old litter box, maybe 12x18 or so...

I don't own guineas so I may be wrong. But all the guinea fowl I have seen are the same size or smaller than chickens. So your standard nesting boxes should be fine. Why do you think she would need a special nest box?

I don't own guineas so I may be wrong. But all the guinea fowl I have seen are the same size or smaller than chickens. So your standard nesting boxes should be fine. Why do you think she would need a special nest box?

She is larger than my biggest chicken who is approx 19 weeks... It was just an assumption

Last edited:
Didn't know they got that big. I read that they usually use chicken nesting boxes which are normally 12x12. So the larger milk crate shoud be plenty big. But you probably won't know for sure until she starts laying.

Good to know thanks
1f60a.png
Ill leave the other one in there it's not hurting anything... If I'm remembering correctly she's 3-4 weeks younger than my oldest 4 because our store was having issues getting them in.

Back
Top Bottom