Inherited Large (for me) chicken coop, uncleaned.

lastly, the fences you see in the pics were all removed. I’m just planning on 6-12 chickens annually. Possibly 2 goats as well cause I can’t get my lawn tractor to the bottom half of my land, it’s too steep so I think Goats may do it. Thanks again
What do you mean by anually?

I think you should keep this large coop. You can never have too much space, and it seems to be in good shape.
We are going to paint the exterior to match the houses' new siding. Probably next weekend, nothing fancy, just sprucing it up. I have tons or predators, Hawks, Bald Eagles, Foxes and I believe there is a Coyote or two in the woods behind us.

As far as the coop goes, how clean is clean? Like spic and span ? Or getting rid or old bedding, feathers, hard poop thats caked on places ? Shop Vac and a Leaf Blower? I have never been on the second story, my kids have and say it looks like the bottom, it looks like a 2-3 hour job if its just me..

Welcome to BYC. Where, in general, are you? Climate matters, especially when it comes to housing.

I agree with this.

As a general rule, dry chickens are healthy chickens and the wet-cleaning of a chicken coop should only be done out of dire necessity.

Because these are your first chickens and because you have young children I strongly suggest that you cull/rehome all males for the first year while you learn chicken-keeping. Aggressive cockerels/roosters have ruined the chicken experience for many people and can present an active danger, particularly to young children, because they go for the face/eyes when attacking.

Additionally, a cockerel raised in a flock with adults learns better chicken manners as he grows than a cockerel who grows up as the biggest, toughest thing in the flock of his age-peer pullets.

This is the advice I was given and it's worked out very well for me.
I am in Cecil County Maryland. Moved here in the early winter.

Back
Top Bottom