Inherited Large (for me) chicken coop, uncleaned.

stephenthayer61

Chirping
May 15, 2022
My Family and I bought a former (5.8 acre) hobby farm. I mostly wanted the land as it was wooded. We have 5 kids from 16-8.
I inherited (was here when we moved in) a fairly large coop that is two stories high and had automatically times doors for free ranging the birds. The doors and timers are still there it’s just there is no power hooked to em. I can fix those later.

The previous owners, I was told had 24 chickens in there. I have had so much to do and still have tons of work to go and until 5 weeks ago had no chickens. I made the mistake of taking the kids to TSC and we came home w 7 Easter Egger Pullets. I know we definitely have at least one rooster already, He is way bigger then the rest, is getting a noticeable comb already and has the saddle feathers. Today I noticed what I thought was a bigger hen, maybe a cockrel too. He would run up to me when outside and also challenges me when I go into the brooder. The rooster does not act aggressive at all yet. I’m going to cull one, just wanna see which is tamer due to having a standoff w the neighbors roo late last fall. I don’t want him chasing the kids or becoming aggressive with them at all.
Anyhow, I need to move these Chicks into this empty Coop. I really don’t know where to start as there is a lot of feathers and I’m sure Poop too alll over it. The run still needs repair to make it predator proof, I live on almost 6 acres in the woods w neighbors each having 3 acres and behind me is 200 acres of woods. I love it and wanna raise healthy chickens for years to come. I know I jumped into this, I did some research last fall. But since we bought em, we haven’t had any issues w health or behavior.

Anyway, I only have off tomorrow from work and need to get them into the coop. Where and how should I start. How clean should I get the coop. I can post more pics tmmrw when I start cleaning, but those pics were taken to out the coop on Craigs List for Free, I was just gonna get a new, smaller coop to start. I removed about 1/2 the old structures and have way more room now. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I live in Cecil County, Md now! Thank you!

Attachments

• 48F44C37-B548-46A9-A2A6-61A27614DEB9.jpeg
    48F44C37-B548-46A9-A2A6-61A27614DEB9.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 56
  • D6EF59D2-A1F5-4D2E-9B79-FB3B7EEE560A.jpeg
    D6EF59D2-A1F5-4D2E-9B79-FB3B7EEE560A.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 16
  • A02B3050-E264-412F-BA11-BB6FBF55BC4D.jpeg
    A02B3050-E264-412F-BA11-BB6FBF55BC4D.jpeg
    994.2 KB · Views: 19
  • EC61D1DE-5860-4A41-A5ED-E4766173D9A9.jpeg
    EC61D1DE-5860-4A41-A5ED-E4766173D9A9.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 14
lastly, the fences you see in the pics were all removed. I’m just planning on 6-12 chickens annually. Possibly 2 goats as well cause I can’t get my lawn tractor to the bottom half of my land, it’s too steep so I think Goats may do it. Thanks again

lastly, the fences you see in the pics were all removed. I’m just planning on 6-12 chickens annually. Possibly 2 goats as well cause I can’t get my lawn tractor to the bottom half of my land, it’s too steep so I think Goats may do it. Thanks again
What do you mean by anually?

My Family and I bought a former (5.8 acre) hobby farm. I mostly wanted the land as it was wooded. We have 5 kids from 16-8.
I inherited (was here when we moved in) a fairly large coop that is two stories high and had automatically times doors for free ranging the birds. The doors and timers are still there it’s just there is no power hooked to em. I can fix those later.

The previous owners, I was told had 24 chickens in there. I have had so much to do and still have tons of work to go and until 5 weeks ago had no chickens. I made the mistake of taking the kids to TSC and we came home w 7 Easter Egger Pullets. I know we definitely have at least one rooster already, He is way bigger then the rest, is getting a noticeable comb already and has the saddle feathers. Today I noticed what I thought was a bigger hen, maybe a cockrel too. He would run up to me when outside and also challenges me when I go into the brooder. The rooster does not act aggressive at all yet. I’m going to cull one, just wanna see which is tamer due to having a standoff w the neighbors roo late last fall. I don’t want him chasing the kids or becoming aggressive with them at all.
Anyhow, I need to move these Chicks into this empty Coop. I really don’t know where to start as there is a lot of feathers and I’m sure Poop too alll over it. The run still needs repair to make it predator proof, I live on almost 6 acres in the woods w neighbors each having 3 acres and behind me is 200 acres of woods. I love it and wanna raise healthy chickens for years to come. I know I jumped into this, I did some research last fall. But since we bought em, we haven’t had any issues w health or behavior.

Anyway, I only have off tomorrow from work and need to get them into the coop. Where and how should I start. How clean should I get the coop. I can post more pics tmmrw when I start cleaning, but those pics were taken to out the coop on Craigs List for Free, I was just gonna get a new, smaller coop to start. I removed about 1/2 the old structures and have way more room now. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I live in Cecil County, Md now! Thank you!
I think you should keep this large coop. You can never have too much space, and it seems to be in good shape.

I think you should keep this large coop. You can never have too much space, and it seems to be in good shape.
We are going to paint the exterior to match the houses' new siding. Probably next weekend, nothing fancy, just sprucing it up. I have tons or predators, Hawks, Bald Eagles, Foxes and I believe there is a Coyote or two in the woods behind us.

As far as the coop goes, how clean is clean? Like spic and span ? Or getting rid or old bedding, feathers, hard poop thats caked on places ? Shop Vac and a Leaf Blower? I have never been on the second story, my kids have and say it looks like the bottom, it looks like a 2-3 hour job if its just me..

We are going to paint the exterior to match the houses' new siding. Probably next weekend, nothing fancy, just sprucing it up. I have tons or predators, Hawks, Bald Eagles, Foxes and I believe there is a Coyote or two in the woods behind us.

As far as the coop goes, how clean is clean? Like spic and span ? Or getting rid or old bedding, feathers, hard poop thats caked on places ? Shop Vac and a Leaf Blower? I have never been on the second story, my kids have and say it looks like the bottom, it looks like a 2-3 hour job if its just me..
a beginner myself, in your case I would go with 'thorough' right now: poop and feather removal and a good scrub with a decent cleaner/disinfectant.
Just to be safe.
There might be some elbow grease involved (perhaps done masks to not inhale any sh*t?)

a beginner myself, in your case I would go with 'thorough' right now: poop and feather removal and a good scrub with a decent cleaner/disinfectant.
Just to be safe.
There might be some elbow grease involved (perhaps done masks to not inhale any sh*t?)
Already have the masks. What kind of cleaner ? Vineager and water ? The house is about 250 feet from the coop, so water, hosing off is limited if not at all. Spray Bottles work?

Already have the masks. What kind of cleaner ? Vineager and water ? The house is about 250 feet from the coop, so water, hosing off is limited if not at all. Spray Bottles work?
In that case, use a garden sprayer.
The folks here on BYC have some preferred disinfectants. Generally, hot soapy water works for most household problems. You might have to walk a few buckets down to the coup! I generally clean with Ajax dish soap, but step it up on occasion. Just be careful, that you don't mix cleaners. I mean, some are good, but ammonia and bleach make a dangerous chlorine gas like they had in WWI!
And remember: you can't disinfect/sanitize a dirty surface.
I don't assume the previous chickens died of a horrible disease, but better safe than sorry!

Back
Top Bottom