Inherited Large (for me) chicken coop, uncleaned.

a beginner myself, in your case I would go with 'thorough' right now: poop and feather removal and a good scrub with a decent cleaner/disinfectant.
Just to be safe.
There might be some elbow grease involved (perhaps done masks to not inhale any sh*t?)

I don't know about what disinfectant you should use, but I would like to say that is a nice looking coop.
Thank You... I was trying to give it away on Craigs List for about a month, had inquiries, no one came to look in person, and I was asking to be removed only, meaning free. Now Im gonna fix it up. Its got gadgets that I have no idea what they are/do yet. I would like To try and get the automatic doors working and fix the run underneath to seal off from predators. It does have automatic lights that come on when a sensor is tripped. Its pretty decked out, just overwhelming for a newbie. Gonna clean it today, I will post more pics. Thanks !

In that case, use a garden sprayer.
The folks here on BYC have some preferred disinfectants. Generally, hot soapy water works for most household problems. You might have to walk a few buckets down to the coup! I generally clean with Ajax dish soap, but step it up on occasion. Just be careful, that you don't mix cleaners. I mean, some are good, but ammonia and bleach make a dangerous chlorine gas like they had in WWI!
And remember: you can't disinfect/sanitize a dirty surface.
I don't assume the previous chickens died of a horrible disease, but better safe than sorry!
No, the prior owners left and moved to a bigger property and took the Alpaca's, chicken's goats and pigs w them. They left in a hurry and the dad who was elderly was left to clean up and remove stuff as much as he could. I find things all over daily. The property and structures sat empty for 6 months, we moved in and I had a ton of other priorities first.

No, the prior owners left and moved to a bigger property and took the Alpaca's, chicken's goats and pigs w them. They left in a hurry and the dad who was elderly was left to clean up and remove stuff as much as he could. I find things all over daily. The property and structures sat empty for 6 months, we moved in and I had a ton of other priorities first.
remember: Chicken poop is good fertilizer! :)
Normally I'd say baby steps, but you already have the chicks.
When you get around to it, take pictures of the equipment.
I bet the locals on BYC can identify it for you (and help you instructions for the doors)

remember: Chicken poop is good fertilizer! :)
Normally I'd say baby steps, but you already have the chicks.
When you get around to it, take pictures of the equipment.
I bet the locals on BYC can identify it for you (and help you instructions for the doors)
Yes, I am the type to go all in or nothing, buying the chicks motivated me to start getting the coop ready, I cleaned the outside up, discovered where the old compost pit is located and tore out the exterior fencing as it was haphazardly installed. As you can see, behind the coop is a children's (old, very old) swing/playset. I believe it was for the Chickens to climb on.

As far as the coop goes, how clean is clean? Like spic and span ? Or getting rid or old bedding, feathers, hard poop thats caked on places ? Shop Vac and a Leaf Blower? I have never been on the second story, my kids have and say it looks like the bottom, it looks like a 2-3 hour job if its just me..

The property and structures sat empty for 6 months, we moved in and I had a ton of other priorities first.
Since it's been unused for 6 months I'd honestly just go for a surface clean - broom, paint scraper & shop vac (or blower), getting out as much old bedding, poop, etc as possible.

A dry clean is my preference, no worries about waiting for things to dry out, and since it's been quite a while since it was last occupied you're at lower risk of disease/pests/etc. still being active.

Since it's been unused for 6 months I'd honestly just go for a surface clean - broom, paint scraper & shop vac (or blower), getting out as much old bedding, poop, etc as possible.

A dry clean is my preference, no worries about waiting for things to dry out, and since it's been quite a while since it was last occupied you're at lower risk of disease/pests/etc. still being active.
Actually, its been vacant for a little over a year now, they vacated in April of 2021. I think thats easier too, but I gotta get in there with a mask on to inspect. Id be willing to bet possibly a snake or two in there as Ive been locating them by the wood shed and its pretty close to the wood shed. Just cant tell my girls that or else they will never go inside. Im not new to being in the woods, but Country living for my family is new. Dont get me wrong, its great, only see others when we want too !!

Actually, its been vacant for a little over a year now, they vacated in April of 2021. I think thats easier too, but I gotta get in there with a mask on to inspect.
Vacant for a year is even better!

And yes I'd mask up for sure - when cleaning my coop I wear old clothes slated for the garbage and tuck in the shirt, tuck pants into boots, plus a mask, goggles, shower cap over hair and ears. It's amazing how much dust and dander accumulates in a coop.

Just clean out the portion that you need to use for now. Then when you have more time,, clean other upper section.
I think a reasonable cleaning like above poster mentioned should be sufficient.
Be glad you have a Larger than needed coop. You can re-purpose part of it to house your goats in time.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome

We are going to paint the exterior to match the houses' new siding. Probably next weekend, nothing fancy, just sprucing it up. I have tons or predators, Hawks, Bald Eagles, Foxes and I believe there is a Coyote or two in the woods behind us.

As far as the coop goes, how clean is clean? Like spic and span ? Or getting rid or old bedding, feathers, hard poop thats caked on places ? Shop Vac and a Leaf Blower? I have never been on the second story, my kids have and say it looks like the bottom, it looks like a 2-3 hour job if its just me..
Since it's not your flocks dirt you dont know about the flock before I would remove everything you can as far as dirt and start fresh

Back
Top Bottom