Help! Inherited Two Hens and Neglected Coop. Pics!

DeezyPeasy

In the Brooder
Oct 25, 2023
Upstate South Carolina
What can I do with this place?
Just moved in a few days ago. I’m in zone 8 in Upstate SC, so winters are fairly mild,

I have two hens who appear healthy. They have acres to 4 fenced and trees acres to free range in day and come back to coop at night on their own.

The coop needs repair.

I have been reading about chickens and planned to get a tractor set up for spring, but this already exists. I have been reading about deep bedding but don’t even know where to start. I need to clean this coop. There is a lot of built up poop. Nails sticking out random places, untrimmed wire. Broken doors.
It does seem to be predator proof, but other than that…😳

Based on these pics, where should I start?
It’s a sunny day, can I just hose it down and scrub it and start fresh with bedding?

In terms of wintering, should I have more than 2 hens for warmth? Can I put together a flock for safety from other adult hens so they can stay warm? Should I get a rooster? There are people selling some adults nearby.

Also the coop is surrounded by very tall weeds. Cut them back, yes?

I’ll take all asap advice as I’m getting started today. I do not have internet until tomorrow so I don’t have hours of data to watch videos and read online. I’ll be popping in and off to check replies.

Thank you! I want these ladies to have a nice, healthy, happy
IMG_0018.jpeg
winter.

Attachments

• IMG_0020.jpeg
    IMG_0020.jpeg
    963.8 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0025.jpeg
    IMG_0025.jpeg
    641.6 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0026.jpeg
    IMG_0026.jpeg
    621.7 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0030.jpeg
    IMG_0030.jpeg
    764.3 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0028.jpeg
    IMG_0028.jpeg
    657 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0029.jpeg
    IMG_0029.jpeg
    685.3 KB · Views: 38
1. Rip out all existing chicken wire and replace with new hardware cloth/mesh wire.
That chicken wire is in rough shape and will not be keeping a determined predator out.

2. Check perimeter of the coop for any signs of animals digging under the walls.

3. Rake out all existing bedding and replace with bark chips or some kind of softer, wood material.

That should keep you busy for today.

That's a pretty nice setup already!

I'd start by busting out the weed eater/mower around the perimeter and clean it up so you can see what's going on there. I'd rip out all the chicken wire for sure, address any hazards like the nails poking out, etc. Shovel/rake out all the contents and blow it out with a leaf blower so you can really see what you're dealing with (wear a mask for all this). If you feel it needs a deeper cleaning inside, I'd consider scrubbing it down with soapy water and a scrub brush/broom and maybe some bleach or peroxide solution in a garden sprayer to fully disinfect it.

From there I'd go get a 4ft roll of 1/2" hardware cloth and secure everything -- fill all those windows and upper wall areas, add a perimeter anti-dig skirt, etc. You'll likely use up the whole thing eventually living out there, especially if you're adding any fenced run to this structure (I would)

To me the walls look a little too open for winter, so I'd consider making some hinged covers for the windows, with a chain that you can adjust the position for controlling drafts in the winter and leave open in summer. Leaving the rafter openings open might be ok for good ventilation, especially with more birds. A new door on the big stall opening might be a good idea.

I would consider adding a run around this structure unless you plan to always free-range them, but I'd guess you'll likely lose some birds without protection of some sort being out in the open like that with acreage.

Someone had a lot of chickens in the past based on the roosts and laying boxes and I'd assume you're planning to get more chickens too -- I'd try to do that sooner than later so they can grow up over winter when nothing really happens, and you will have eggs before next summer -- instead of getting chicks next spring and waiting until fall for eggs.

If you can get hold of an arborist (or get on chipdrop) I'd get like 2-3 loads of wood chips and have them dumped nearby, so you can use it for bedding and also around the perimeter to control weeds better, or if that becomes a run, etc. Wood chips are always a good idea to have around if you have room for them

So helpful.

Yeah the previous owners processed meat birds some years back. There is a HUGE chicken house in the back that we actually might turn into an Airbnb or guest house at some point.
This front coop was obvi for their layers, which I think free ranged during the day.
There were 6 or 7 when we saw the property in September. They said they have a fox problem.

I also found some broken down chicken tractors in some back acres so I don’t know how they managed everything.

Okay. I’m obviously new at this. I can get more chickens now before winter? What’s the best way?

Im very grateful we have so much land and so many options. I’m in it for the long haul and aim to do it right so thank you for investing in my with your time in replying. I appreciate it

2 chickens is an absolute minimum since they are flock animals. More would be better, but there is a complication. Introducing new chickens can be a problem because the existing 2 will likely fight the new ones if done incorrectly. There is always some pecking order disputes (that is normal), but a bad introduction can be much worse.

Probably the best method to introduce new birds is "see but don't touch". Here is a good article on it: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/introducing-new-chickens-using-the-“see-but-don’t-touch”-method.67839/

PS- I recommend you add your general location to your profile. Many questions depend on climate and location.

So helpful.

Yeah the previous owners processed meat birds some years back. There is a HUGE chicken house in the back that we actually might turn into an Airbnb or guest house at some point.
This front coop was obvi for their layers, which I think free ranged during the day.
There were 6 or 7 when we saw the property in September. They said they have a fox problem.

I also found some broken down chicken tractors in some back acres so I don’t know how they managed everything.

Okay. I’m obviously new at this. I can get more chickens now before winter? What’s the best way?

Im very grateful we have so much land and so many options. I’m in it for the long haul and aim to do it right so thank you for investing in my with your time in replying. I appreciate it
I wouldn't be surprised if some tractors had been used for turkeys.

2 chickens is an absolute minimum since they are flock animals. More would be better, but there is a complication. Introducing new chickens can be a problem because the existing 2 will likely fight the new ones if done incorrectly. There is always some pecking order disputes (that is normal), but a bad introduction can be much worse.

Probably the best method to introduce new birds is "see but don't touch". Here is a good article on it: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/introducing-new-chickens-using-the-“see-but-don’t-touch”-method.67839/

PS- I recommend you add your general location to your profile. Many questions depend on climate and location.
Another challenge to introducing new chickens at this point is that they should be quarantined for at least 30-days to make sure you aren't introducing diseases into your flock. Not to sound 'flippant' but if you are going big and only have 2 now, then adding 2-4 more might not be that big of a deal at this point. If it 'doesn't work,' you can start over in the Spring.

One more 'long haul' thing ... have an idea of how many chickens you intend to get. That's a big coop that can hold a lot. Think about if you'll be hatching your own chicks. Will you be processing some for meat? Will you rotate your hens as they get older and produce less? Those answers will help you figure out how many hens you want to start with and how you want to space your 'batches.'

I'm in a backyard plot that has zoning restrictions on what I can own. I have 4 hens that my kids see as pets. So, they get to live past their producing days. When attritions brings us down to 2, we get two more pullets. (I'm not allowed roosters.)

Which reminds me, that looks like a big plot of rural land, but still check your zoning ordinances.

Back
Top Bottom