Inherited rooster needs help!

tinoswifey

Hatching
Apr 11, 2021
Our family inherited a rooster from a classroom. We have done research online but thought speaking to experienced persons would be a better idea. Could someone point us in the right direction so we can treat at home?

7CBDB76B-6375-4C0E-A99E-17EE11205435.jpeg

99D4F05C-2FBC-4106-9C4F-C56F1E16FF40.jpeg

What classroom??! He looks like he's been in a fight.

His comb and hackles are covered in blood and he has a horrible case of scaly leg mites.

I'd start by pressing a warm damp cloth to his comb to soften the dried blood up and clean as much of it off of him as you can. Once the blood has been cleaned off of his comb and hackles look at them closely for injuries. I would disinfect anything you find with betadine or hibiclense then apply triple antibiotic ointment.

As for those legs I would soak them in a warm Epsom salts bath for approximately 15 minutes. Use a soft bristle toothbrush and very gently scrub his legs, rinse them and let them dry.

Instead of just using plain petroleum jelly on his legs, I would get some permethrin poultry powder and mix that in with mineral oil to form a thick paste and smear that into his legs trying to pack it up underneath the scales. This will need to be done every other day for at least two weeks from the looks of those legs.

Last edited:
I am so grateful for your advice and the specific instructions. We will gather these things tomorrow and begin treatment.
Do you think the permethrin powder would be available at a tractor supply store?

Back
Top Bottom