Inherited Temperament

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Iceblink, Dec 17, 2008.

1. Iceblink

Iceblink Chillin' With My Peeps

This is just my own thought, but if you breed mean, flighty, ect chickens, wouldn't their offspring be more likely to be mean, flighty, ect?

And would the same hold true for nice, calm, friendly chickens?

Of course always taking into accound the 'individual variable.'

Does that make sense?

2. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Absolutely! Temperament is a highly heritable trait.

3. CountryMom

CountryMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2008
    South Texas
    It makes perfect sense. I have seen the meanest temperments passed on in other animals we have bred here. Especially horses. Can't see why not chickens. You always have environmental issues - who raised them, and how they were raised, but the basics have always proven the same. JMHO

4. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    Yup...you are on the right track. That is why if a cow showed fight with no calf we would haul them to the sale barn. Life is too much fun to spend it diving over fences! I must admit that I like spunky birds...I think it is a character flaw. I like to carry on that banty rooster thing.

5. mikarod

mikarod Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Yep! With a next generation from a mean bird, you can attempt to "condition" the next generation.

It worked well for Mr. Mom (Light Brahma) and for Courage (RIR).

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

YES, absolutely, temperament is genetic. That doesnt mean every offspring of an easygoing hen and rooster will be sweet and lovable, but it usually does. There's the odd one every once in awhile, like Gabriel, Hawkeye's son who is a bit older than Zane, or was, before he became very aggressive and lost his head. He was skittish from hatch, unlike the others, very nervous and jumpy all the time. He was never aggressive to us, but I do not like dealing with that type and his body type wasn't what I wanted, so I rehomed him. He eventually became very aggressive and was culled. BUT, Gabriel was the exception. I still own three of Hawkeye's wonderful sons. They have outstanding temperaments.

7. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Ditto, temperment is genetic!

8. andorraclaim

andorraclaim Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2008
    East Austin, Texas
    I like the real world experience on this but does anyone have any science on this?

9. seriousbill

seriousbill Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Ohio
    Quote:Yes.

Yes.

And, yes. [​IMG]

10. Iceblink

Iceblink Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks everyone, I always appreciate such knowledgable answers to my questions.
    And I love hearing anecdotes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by