Whiting True Blue Temperament

This is a local store. They don't have many chicks at once, but they do have a good variety over time.

I was going to order the chicks direct from McMurray, but they were sold out in January. :eek:
It might be worth checking back on occasion. A few weeks back I saw some available on their website for several dates, but now they are back to being sold out. I think they list a conservative number, then allow order for more if the flocks are laying better or if candling during incubation shows better-than-expected development. I noticed last year there was a pattern of more chicks being listed on a certain day of the week-- checking every day for a week or two would probably show if the same pattern exists this year.

It might be worth checking back on occasion. A few weeks back I saw some available on their website for several dates, but now they are back to being sold out. I think they list a conservative number, then allow order for more if the flocks are laying better or if candling during incubation shows better-than-expected development. I noticed last year there was a pattern of more chicks being listed on a certain day of the week-- checking every day for a week or two would probably show if the same pattern exists this year.
Agree. That's what the salespeople told me when I called to ask about them being unavailable.

I actually had my order coming in mid-May, but a few weeks ago they had a bunch more availability for everything in my order earlier, so I changed the ship date to April. For the variety of chicks I wanted plus the WTB I didn't expect that, so was pleasantly surprised.

I don't know what the OP thinks, but this is helping confirm that I'm making the right choice for me in trying to get them.
Ditto. Hoover's Prairie Bluebells sound very similar to the Whiting True Blue, but I have issues with them - egg size - they lay from small to almost extra large depending on the hen, and uniformity - random calcium deposits, some hens have shell formation defects that randomly show up on the rounded end, changes in shape of one hen's eggs from one egg to the next, uneven blue pigmenting that shows up periodically, and inconsistencies in blue egg color across the hens - one lays greenish, and one is practically white. I get 4-6 eggs daily from my 6 hens (just now 1 yr old), so not all of them lay consistently, or the same amount of eggs per week.

Sounds like the Whiting True Blues have solved most of these egg issues - I'm excited to see how they do! Thanks to everyone for your insights, keep them coming!

my whiting true blue is 1. her name is daisy she lays every day. she is a great layer. personality: shy, flighty, and loves roosting bars. we sadly have problems with dogs attacking our chickens, she's smart and fly's up to get away. we have a 50-foot-high barn well, she flopped just below it on a board. i got her down but it was the dog that scared her.

WIN_20230420_08_50_40_Pro.jpg
sorry about the blurry picture, my child snapped it😏:oops:🙄anyway this is her egg. if you're wondering why my kid is not at school, she is sick.

Back
Top Bottom