Injured 3week old chicken

catiecatie

In the Brooder
Mar 18, 2024
Just found this girl is bleeding. I separated her. But how do I care for her? New chicken mom. Any advice

Attachments

• 20240408_214115.jpg
    20240408_214115.jpg
    360.4 KB · Views: 13
Looks like a pecking wound or possibly an abrasion if you have any raw poultry netting where a chick could get itself snagged on it. You need to look for anything that may have caused it and correct it.

Small wounds on chicks can be treated with Blu-kote (gentian violet if you're in the EU.) It stains the wound purple to discourage the other chicks from pecking it while protecting it from bacteria.

Looks like a pecking wound or possibly an abrasion if you have any raw poultry netting where a chick could get itself snagged on it. You need to look for anything that may have caused it and correct it.

Small wounds on chicks can be treated with Blu-kote (gentian violet if you're in the EU.) It stains the wound purple to discourage the other chicks from pecking it while protecting it from bacteria.
Yeah I think it's definitely a pecking wound. They're still in the brooder and there's nothing in there that she could have gotten snagged on. I'll definitely look into your treatment recommendation. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom