Injured 6mth Silkie Roo - Possible slipped tendon? Is it too late?

mandymcg05

Songster
Apr 26, 2020
Kentucky
Our boy Motley was hopped on by one of our bigger breed birds about 7-8 days ago. At first he was just limping around and carrying his R leg.

About 4 days ago I let everyone out and he wouldn't leave the coop. I carried him out and he was actually DRAGGING his toes/foot at this point. So I knew he was getting worse. I thought maybe just a sprain... He was still getting around and eating and drinking. No visual signs of trauma. No swollen/broken areas. SO I went ahead and crated him in the coop that day away from the other birds so he wouldn't further injure it and everything was super close for him, food and water wise.

Yesterday, it's worse. He's dragging his entire leg behind him now. There is still blood flow to the foot. Is it too late to try and fix it? Should I wrap it and give him more crate time? He's still eating and drinking and talking! Yesterday I put him in the yard and that's when I noticed the dragging of the whole leg. Like it was stuck on grass. :hit :hit :hit :hit :hit I don't know what to do!!!

You lost a chicken recently that could have had Mareks disease. Did you ever get a necropsy done on that chicken to see if it was Mareks. Although injury sounds like a good possibility, Mareks comes to mind with a paralyzed or dragging leg. I hope it is not, but if you lose this bird, a necropsy should be done.

That does not sound like a slipped tendon to me, I recently went through that with a guinea this summer. (Ended up having to cull as I didn’t not get to it in time)
When the tendon slips off the back of the knee joint it shortens and gets tighter and the foot points up more and more as it gets tighter. If that makes any sense...
a foot being dragged sounds more like paralysis.

You lost a chicken recently that could have had Mareks disease. Did you ever get a necropsy done on that chicken to see if it was Mareks. Although injury sounds like a good possibility, Mareks comes to mind with a paralyzed or dragging leg. I hope it is not, but if you lose this bird, a necropsy should be done.
No ma’am. This was definitely an injury. DH and I saw it happen while out in the run.

haven’t got the necropsy results yet.

I’m going to go out and see if I can take some photos and a video. Also want to add that the last chick that was sick that we were getting a necropsy on lost both legs at the same time. Never just one leg like this. Don’t know if that matters.

I’m going to go out and see if I can take some photos and a video. Also want to add that the last chick that was sick that we were getting a necropsy on lost both legs at the same time. Never just one leg like this. Don’t know if that matters.
Unfortunately it does not matter as Marek's can manifest in different ways. Hoping for your sake it is just an injury! :hugs Have you looked into a chicken sling for him?

Can you feel up the leg to the thigh? Is their any dislocation that you can see? Any swelling? You will have to feel both legs to compare. It’s important to separate and monitor it. Do you have any pictures or a video , to see how he is positioning the foot and leg? Is he eating and drinking and trying to still move around? Does the toes react when you touch them and move them around?

the symptoms you describe do not sound like a slip tendon.But it does sound rather serious.

I do hope that it is an injury and not something like Mareks, but just wanted to mention it. It is more helpful to know that you witnessed the injury.
No ma’am. This was definitely an injury. DH and I saw it happen while out in the run.

haven’t got the necropsy results yet.

Just a slight update. Motley is still eating and drinking. He’s been separated from the flock in a crate in the coop because I don’t want him hurt worse. I’ve tried to feel for any dislocation and have not had any luck. I have an appointment today with our avian vet to see if he can do an exam and tell me what quality of life would be. I do let him out for about an hour or two with the flock as they free range. And he hops all over the yard. The legs sticks straight out. No toe reaction but everything is warm so I know there’s no lose in blood flow. I don’t know guys. Probably not going to end well for my baby.
06BB2A13-44F0-4049-80C6-244537AEB913.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom