Injured Bantam

I would keep her relatively warm and see that she takes some drops of electrolytes or warmed sugar water.
She’s inside and I'm planning on leaving her there till she recoveres from the shock. I'm going to give her the warmed sugar water. Thanks
How high is the fence your chicks are in?
Can you get bird netting to put over your run so the chicks can't fly out?
The fence is 62 inches tall. But I already trimmed the chickens flight feathers yesterday.

Our old shepherd mix once tried to play with the ducks.
He didn't mean it in a bad way, but he didn't know the ducks are very different to dogs.
After shouting at him, and training him to stay away from the ducks because we otherwise would shout at him and put him in the *shame corner*, we never had any issues again.

He did kill two ducks that day, not by mangling them, but by trying to play.
So we knew we could train him to leave the ducks be, and he wasn't a danger to them out of wanting to hunt.

Your dog either tasted blood and liked it, and then he will always be a danger to smaller animals...
or he plays with them...
or...he sees them as intruders in his space when they get over the fence, and he defends his territory, killing them.

I think if he had wanted to have them dead on purpose, the chicken would look much worse.
Were the others more mangled or even partially eaten?
If yes, he likes killing.
If the other ones were also barely injured, it could be play or territory display.

Both have a good chance of the dog being trained out of it.
Maybe he tried to herd them like sheep, but chickens are much smaller than sheep, so what would barely graze a sheep, kills the chicken.

For now, they are safe, but I personally would train the dog out of this behaviour.
Because if one gets out again, or the dog wanders off and *herds* the neighbours poultry, it will be a problem again.

Best wishes to your flock, dog, and you.

Our old shepherd mix once tried to play with the ducks.
He didn't mean it in a bad way, but he didn't know the ducks are very different to dogs.
After shouting at him, and training him to stay away from the ducks because we otherwise would shout at him and put him in the *shame corner*, we never had any issues again.

He did kill two ducks that day, not by mangling them, but by trying to play.
So we knew we could train him to leave the ducks be, and he wasn't a danger to them out of wanting to hunt.

Your dog either tasted blood and liked it, and then he will always be a danger to smaller animals...
or he plays with them...
or...he sees them as intruders in his space when they get over the fence, and he defends his territory, killing them.

I think if he had wanted to have them dead on purpose, the chicken would look much worse.
Were the others more mangled or even partially eaten?
If yes, he likes killing.
If the other ones were also barely injured, it could be play or territory display.

Both have a good chance of the dog being trained out of it.
Maybe he tried to herd them like sheep, but chickens are much smaller than sheep, so what would barely graze a sheep, kills the chicken.

For now, they are safe, but I personally would train the dog out of this behaviour.
Because if one gets out again, or the dog wanders off and *herds* the neighbours poultry, it will be a problem again.

Best wishes to your flock, dog, and you.
The first one's head was missing and guts were exposted. The second one had her wings ripped off

She’s inside and I'm planning on leaving her there till she recoveres from the shock. I'm going to give her the warmed sugar water. Thanks

The fence is 62 inches tall. But I already trimmed the chickens flight feathers yesterday.
I think I'd still put up some netting if possible.

Hoping she's doing ok today.

The first one's head was missing and guts were exposted. The second one had her wings ripped off
Yeah that does not sound like a play reaction.
And if your dog got some taste about killing and eating animals he might try to break in in the future, or go to a neighbour for *fun*.

Sorry to worry you, but it sounds like another death in waiting if you can not train the dog out of doing this.
I can give you some pointers about training if you want, but there is no guarantee, depending on the personality of the dog, that he can be trained out of it.

Back
Top Bottom