Injured Canada Goose. What should I do?

That is true. It's so dangerous but at the same time, it's so adorable to see 30+ geese walking down on the side of the road single file. I can see them cutting through the woods while I'm out with my chickens and bantam ducks as they head here. I usually have some cracked corn already out for them to get them started. I go out the back door and they all stand still and look. Once they see it's me with the blue bucket of waterfowl pellets and I say "my babies" they start running towards me. It's the cutest thing ever and seriously fills my heart ♥ I'm sure all they see and hear is "FOOD!!!" but a girl can dream, right 😂

I think I exaggerated a little bit about it's bill. It's broke off at the tip, right below it's nares. Still same outcome, I'm assuming. I was surprised at how aggressive this goose is as I've never encountered one that chased me. Of course my back was turned and I was walking off before I realized what was going on. I turned back around, stood there, and it walked the other way. This was after I tried some piles of food up against a weed, which was unsuccessful. I finally decided to try laying my bucket on its side so it could see the feed and although it was hesitant, it decided to try it and boy was that successful! I was able to see it actually having food in it's mouth and it moved the food with its tongue to swallow it. The reaction was priceless! Now to send pics to CWR and attempt to capture 😍
20220703_105356.jpg

it's so adorable to see 30+ geese walking down on the side of the road single file.

That would make a darlin photo!

the blue bucket of waterfowl pellets and I say "my babies" they start running towards me.

Every morning when I go to let out my birds, I see them peeking out the windows and I say, "Oh, my babies!!" You can hear them shuffling around to the pop door ready to go. Our bucket is purple. They know what's inside and will almost knock me down sometime!

It's the cutest thing ever and seriously fills my heart ♥
Yep, you are a special person! 😇

So glad to see her eating! She seems to look healthy in the pics.
Good luck with the goose catching. :fl.

I guess the gosling with the bill missing hasn't shown back up?
He was here yesterday 😍 I haven't had success in capturing him yet, but he's been eating from a bucket. He was left behind a couple of days ago and I spent quite a bit of time trying to help him figure out how to eat from the edge of the water, which didn't work well unless the food was floating. He's not at all aggressive anymore and will let me get close but the moment I bend down, he freaks. I did get some pictures of him yesterday. I'll find the best ones and share them 💗
Side note - He's still looking good body wise and his poops are normal looking. It was obvious that he was starving the first time because all of his poops were water, plus he was acting so desperate to eat. I still think he'd do better in an environment where he'd have a bucket of food all day, everyday. My delay in capturing him is that I don't want to do this while he's eating because I worry he'll aspirate. If I try to capture before feeding him and I'm unsuccessful, he will end up going without food another day. So I am really on the fence. I'm hoping I have time to build his trust and then capture. I don't know if that even makes sense or not

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom